Wednesday, January 7, 2015

To Be Quiet.....

   And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
  That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
 I sometimes wonder what it would be like if we all learned to not talk so much... and took care of our own business more often... I am a people fixer by nature. I see some one who is struggling for one reason or another and I want to help. And that is not a bad thing to be.. but sometimes we can't fix it.. We may mess things up more if we try to help to much. That is something I am learning when to help and when to let people learn on their own. Hard stuff..
 I remember reading this "study to be quiet" the first time it really stood out to me.. Because (confession time) I am not a quiet person.. And everyone who knows me personally is giving a LOUD Amen to that. I like to talk.. I have been talking for a long time. More than your average person I am sure. Just ask my momma... or my husband :) So studying to be quiet is something I have tried to do.. Boy howdy sometimes biting my tongue gets really old..
  However.. if I am quiet.. I can hear this.. That still small voice...
  
And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 1 Kings 19:11-12
 if you read on in 1 kings 19 its talking about Elijah.. He was a tad bit whiny about his situation. And God showed him that he was not alone.. Sometimes I am a little whiny about situations. Feeling all out of sorts and wanting to broadcast how I feel to every one I talk too.. But that can complicate a situation real quick.
 When some one has done me wrong.. I feel a great sense of self righteousness.. I want people to know I am right and they are wrong.. That is not right.. That is when I have to study to be quiet and listen to that still small voice. Whether I am right or wrong.. I need to let God handle these things and only speak if I am prompted by God.(This does not make me a doormat) He will let you know when to speak.. We have many promises.. If we follow God's word.. 
He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
 Psalm 107:29-30

 He can calm a storm like no other......... 

2 comments:

the Goodwife said...

Oh girl! How I need to read and follow this. I am trying, but it is so very hard. It sounds like we are quite a bit alike, and it can be so very difficult, but I too am trying to speak only when the Father tells me to, and to leave ME out of it! Thank you for this post!

Carol said...

I am constantly struggling with this one.
As far as everyday conversation.... I love to talk too :) I notice it even more now that I am unable to work... I find myself talking to the animals all day and all but attack the hubs with conversation when he gets home.