Monday, July 14, 2014

A Little Pet Peeve Of Mine......


 I am a Missouri girl born and raised several generations on each side of the family. Even though my dad was born in Illinois, some of his side of the family has been in Missouri for a few generations. I don't plan on leaving Missouri unless God moves me. So far he doesn't seem inclined to do that. I live about 35 miles from the town my parents raised me in. We lived briefly in Louisiana as a kid. Visited other states. Missouri is Home here on this earth to me..
  In the last 30 years people have moved into Missouri by the truckloads it seems. Many from the East, Southern and West coast. MANY from the West coast!.... Generally they are decent people looking to get away from the overpopulated coast areas of the country. I understand personal freedoms in Missouri is in the top 5 states for the most freedoms. There is a lot of land, most goes straight uphill but hey it's land of sorts. From what I understand most people can sell a small house in California and buy a 40 acre farm with house, barns and live off that money for at least a year if not longer if you are frugal.
 Now for the pet peeve part... What gets me is the people that move and live here THEN have the nerve to complain about the people that live here!! Really??... Missouri is known for its Hillbillies. Especially in the Ozarks.. That is what we are.. that is how we were raised. Just like anywhere else in this country we have our way of doing things. AND just like anywhere else we have the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't lump all California people or all Florida people together.. And I have had more bad deals with the majority of Cali people I know than not...
 When you move in to a new area you don't go on and on about how much better it is where you come from. Nothing gets on people's bad side quicker than that I think. So if it was so much better why are you here?? Last I checked road goes Both ways. Yes we have our strange ways of doing things.. Have you ever considered that maybe you are strange to us?? That maybe you talk funny to us?? I have a friend from the east coast. We find lots of joy and laughter in the differences between the way we talk and how we do things. And we have learned from each other!  For most things there is no One right way.
 So before I make this any longer or more boring. I just want to end with this.. I am from Missouri, I am Hillbilly, I am also stubborn and you have to Show-Me things to convince me.. So far.. I am not convinced all these people moving in has been a good thing...  But for the sake of the 1-2% that have been decent people we will deal with the 98-99%. Because apparently they haven't figured out the road goes both ways yet.. 

3 comments:

tree ocean said...

That's the way it is here, too. My Town is being run by out of staters now, and though there were things that used to get to me (as a transplant myself) I try to adhere to live and let live...Now we are getting brought up to state standards and the wild appeal of the town WILL change. UGH. I feel as long as what my neighbors do doesn't hurt or endanger me or mine let them do as they will...but one day we will all have to keep our lawns mowed and shrubbery a certain height and probably no rain barrels or critters unless they are licensed...

Every year we elect "lawmakers" to govt-obviously a downhill spiral with more and more laws every year!

Tree

small farm girl said...

Don't even get me started!!!!! That is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I could go on and on about this subject. Plus I could give you MANY examples! Another thing I find funny is that they think they already KNOW everything about how it is there. NO. YOU. DONT. Don't even try and think you do. See? My blood pressure is already up. lol!

Anonymous said...

Amen! Miss you when you are not here. I don't do facebook. Kathy