Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Reminded........

Sooo some one reminded me the other day that I had not posted anything on my blog since April 13.... 
I am sorry! Thank you to all of those that have missed me.. I mean my Blog!  We have been crazy busy.. So I will try to update everyone... 
 First my girls... Aren't they pretty?? 
 They have done fairly well at the fairs this year.. Goats aren't in the best shape this year but this is Herdsmanship at Laclede County fair this year. They work hard for this.. They won it at the other 2 fairs also..
       Speaking of goats.. Here is Ms. Arwen waiting to go into the show ring.. She is an awesome little doe.. Can't wait to see her babies next year when she is bred to Zeke...


I don't think I posted anything about our last baby born or First baby out of Mr. Zeke.. Pablo was born on May 5th out of Freckles.. He is an awesome little dude and is now 2 months old.. He has blue eyes like his daddy and I have never had such tough babies. He had a little bit of a rough delivery but was up in spite of it all with in minutes and ready to eat. I am excited to see all of the babies next year out of Mr. Zeke..


Back to fair news... 
Kyla won Best of Show with her Civil war Re-enactment Photo..
Second year in a row for Best of Show!!
 She won out over adults and professionals.. 

Kara's drawings all brought in blue ribbons.. 

This is her crayon drawing...
My crayons have never done this... lol

  So the last few months have been crazy.. As I mentioned.. The goat grazing.. Not happening like I thought it would.. Wethers aren't smart.. is all I can say at this point... I had a doe that was on the list to be culled that was jumping over, under and through all the fences.. She is now gone.. Things have settled down now but we are having serious health issues with the wethers.. We have lost several. I haven't been able to figure it out.. I am determined to kill or cure.. Okay so I would rather cure them to process later when it would be more profitable. But I have also decided to almost completely close my herd this next year. All but the buck. Zeke is here for a limited time. I have decided to save several girls out of him and probably sell a lot of my younger purebred does in favor of a Spanish Nubian cross does to keep.. We will see.
  Breeding plans are this so far.. All older does bred for January 2014 and Every one 2 years and younger will be bred for May.  The thing of it is that Zeke is already in Rut.. The doe I culled this year was having hormone issues and coming in heat every 7-10 days.. Driving Zeke crazy and bringing everyone else into heat too.. She is gone and everyone is calming down.. Sheeww.. Hoping that everything goes according to plan. Zeke is going to be hired out for his Studliness a few weeks before I am ready for breeding here. So it will hopefully occupy him till I am ready for him to do his *ahem* job! Lol
 When he is done here he will be up for sale and probably move on to a bigger herd to help improve the hardiness. I can't say enough good about this guy and the Spanish.. So far his babies are awesome. He has several at the farm he came from, one here and 2 at a friend's house. They are all healthy. And Pablo here is gaining about .4 lbs a day since birth. Anxious to see how Zeke blends with my best Nubians.. If you are interested in goats that are Sustainable and Hardy. I would suggest looking into the Spanish.. Real Spanish not the scrub goat Spanish.. ;) Here is the link to the Spanish Breeders Association.
  So thats all I got for today.. hoping to at least get back to writing once a week.. Taking a break from Facebook this week too. Sometimes its all to much info! We are going to find the gardens and yard this week before the house picks up and moves from the shame of the yard looking like this. :) Have a great week all! 

1 comment:

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

Congrats on all the blue ribbons! That's awesome. :)