Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Managed Intensive Grazing.....


We have started the Managed Intensive grazing..
 There is not a lot of green yet but plenty of stuff for them to eat.

This is how we are moving the fence.. 
Since it's electronetting there is no rolling it up like regular wire..
We use a rake and thread it through the top of the fence as we pick it up..

The girls taking up the other length of fence.
We have 3 lengths that are 164 feet each.
Rough estimate is that will hold enough graze for about 40 goats for 4-7 days..
Especially when things really start growing.

Lizard that distracted me while I was suppose to be setting up fence.
And I wonder where my kids get it.... Lol


Anchoring it down in some places allows us to pull it tight..

Main issue... The rocks.. that stop us from pushing in the post.. especially on this rocky hillside.

Almost finished... Or so we thought..
 Had to go back and move it around some to get it to reach..

Goats are learning it..
Adults aren't trying it.. Babies.. 
Well lets just say they gotta learn OUCH!
 I am excited to be able to implement this with our goats. I have read and listened to Joel Salatin and his ideas for a few years now. I think he has a serious solution to the major farming issues we are facing today.. I think it would definitely work for Big Ag if they could look past the immediate future and let go of their antibiotic laced GMO feeds... Anyway.....
  The goats are enjoying it.. It may get a little hairy when we get farther back in the woods this summer but I foresee lots of good stuff for the goats to eat till at least November! Time will tell....

 Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

8 comments:

Queenacres said...

What a great idea!

WeldrBrat said...

I wish we could do this with our cattle. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way last Tuesday, it's just not possible with a couple brood cows. They seem to think everything is the moon. But I'm having to take a mirror out for one of 'em. She thought she was tiny enough to fit through one of the 'squares.' She's due to drop on April 23rd. Dwayne had to replace a brace and fix the fence. Ha!

Linda said...

That is a great idea. I'd like to do this with my goats. At this time it isn't possible, but maybe in the near future.

Angela said...

I used this kind of fence last year as the farm we recently moved to has no permanent fences. I only used it during day for them to have some time outside of their pen. For whatever reason my wether decided to go through it one day and although we were right there when it happened, it took us a while to extract him. I still love this idea and look forward to seeing how it goes for you. We have an abundance of browse, do you know how you plan on moving it to locations that aren't already cleared off? Thanks!

Angela said...

By browse I mean thick weeds/briars/brush...

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Well... We arent quit sure how thick it will get where they will be at and it seems to grow in clumps so hoping to put the fence around the main areas to let them eat it down and the main fence line has been brush hogged.. So hopefully that will help.. I will let you know how it works out.. :)

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Oh also on keeping them behind the fence. We have a powerful charger.. Its puts out at least 14-15 joules. I have less than 2 miles of electric fence on a 50 mile charger.. Most of mine wont try it We have had some of the babies get shocked and run through it but they are getting to big now and so usually shock their nose and bounce back instead of forward..

Kris said...

This is my goal with my sheep. And I could do this with the goats too I think, if I had enough fence. I did have some of that netting fence but sold it. Wish I hadn't now. Good luck with yours.