Sunday, January 13, 2013

Poor Ems.....

 So last night Emily had a string of Goo.. In goat talk that is impending labor.. The problem was that the very first possible due date is February 8th.. Unless they go at 145 days then February 3rd.. So there wasnt much I could do last night except wait... So this morning at first we thought she was okay on the quick check.. But when  we went to feed she was in obvious labor.. It took a little while and I finally had to check to see if she was dilated.. And there was a tiny baby head right there.. It was a boy.. Most likely going to be black & white spotted with frosted ears like his momma..
  Then we had to get down to business and check for more.. Next was a little girl... Dark with Light ears and some more white on her.. And the 3rd was were the problem was... It was another little girl.. We were having a hard time getting this baby out.. Felt like it was stuck but it was smaller than the other 2.. Then when we finally got the baby out.. We could see why... The cord was wrapped around the middle of it and had been that way for a while.. It reminded me of Amniotic band syndrome in people in looks.. I think that baby died and it triggered the miscarriage....
 So when I knew she was miscarrying I started her on Antibiotics because of having to go in and the possibility of infection. I also started her on herbs.. A mix of Cayenne, Garlic, and Echinacea tincture Along with Marshmallow root and Nettle leaf powder mixed in with Molasses.. I have been dosing her herbally every 2 hours.. Also had to give her Oxytocin to keep her contracting to finish cleaning out.. As of the last check she still hadn't passed her placenta.. It sometimes takes 24-36 hours.. It usually doesn't but with it not being the normal way things work I may have to give her something stronger to make it pass..
 She is alert and bright eyed.. Obviously not feeling good but all in all in decent health.. So hoping it can pass and she had milk so I am milking her too because it will help her body work like its suppose too..
I hope it passes and she heals quickly.. I hate seeing her suffer. She is a sweet heart..

7 comments:

Queenacres said...

Give her Milk Thistle to help her body process all of the toxins....and Raspberry leaf will help with the uterine contractions and healing. I'm sorry you lost the kids...and I'll be praying that the doe heals quickly.

What a rough start to your kidding season, hopefully the worst is behind you now and you'll have healthy bouncing kids soon!

OurCrazyFarm said...

What a sad day~ so sorry for your loss, Tonia.

Christine said...

Awe, this makes me sad. Poor thing.

Brenda said...

I know you've done everything you can for Emily. I am confident that she'll recover quickly under your expert care.

I am sorry about losing the babies ... they shouldn't have been doing goat dance twists till after they were born.

TJ said...

Oh, what a sad day! I'm so sorry that you lost all those babies :( Sounds like Em is doing okay, I hope she'll be fine.... I'm sure she will be.

Teresa said...

So sorry Tonia! Animals are hard, sounds like you did all you could.

tree ocean said...

I don't think I could have done that. I hope you managed to save Em.