Friday, January 4, 2013

Hobo The Hero

This Morning I heard Hobo barking.. Thought Maybe some was pulling up.. Looked out the kitchen window didnt see anyone and figured she was barking at the cat.. 
Well fast forward a little while later...
We go out to do chores and there are feathers all over.. 
One of our hens seem to have disappeared...
Figuring she was gone and now knowing that Hobo was probably barking at a hawk.. 
I wont complain about her seemingly barking at "nothing" again...

So thinking that the hen was gone.. We didn't really look..
Till I went to feed and water chickens.. 
We found her in the chicken house.. 
As bad as it looks it doesnt look like anything vital was hit.. She was plenty feisty to catch..
We washed her wounds out with a solution I made and put her back in the pen..
Seems to have caught a lot of feathers,skin and fat. Not much blood.. We will see if she survives...


On to the goat news...
Mr Zeke.. Strutting his stuff.....
He was dancing on the quonset hut the other day...

He thinks he is all that...Lol
But on to the goat news... I brought Zeke in to do clean up breeding.. Thought several of my girls hadn't settled when they were with Hal.. But now that we are about 4 weeks from our first possible due date I have more does making udders..
  One in particular I thought was coming in heat.. Bonnie was seeming to come in heat every 18-21 days.. But she wouldn't let Zeke near her... Looking from the back she seemed to have a little pudge of fat behind her udder.. I had felt her udder and no development..That was a few weeks ago.. So last week I felt again.. Low and behold she has a very good start of an udder... And So does Ms Polly... Stinkers!! Hiding things from me!!
  They are 2 of my First Fresheners this year.. The other 2 are younger.. Mercy is due around the same time but Freckles wont be kidding till in May.. She is bred to Zeke.. As is Ethel.. Everyone else..  I am hoping they are bred to Hal... I so wanted kids out of him..
  Sp we are on countdown here till kidding.. Been working on an herbal wormer, giving BoSe shots and getting hooves trimmed up.. Its also been pretty chilly with a little snow here and there.. We need more.. Still rather dry left over from last summer.. I have been blessed in the Hay department.. Because my hay guy hasnt changed prices and still has hay!..
 So thats the latest.. Or some of the latest... I hope everyone had a great holiday season..
Have a blessed day!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Good job, Hobo! I hope the hen makes it.

Can you imagine what Zeke will be like when he's full grown?

Queenacres said...

Good Hobo! Give her an extra treat today for sure!

We're supposed to start kidding here too in a couple of weeks....I'm SO ready for spring!

Carol said...

Good thing Hobo knows his job!!!

matty said...

Hobo the Hero! Isn't he marvelous?? Your Zeke is beautiful!

Therese said...

I want to read any blog that can use a sentence, "On to the goat news." I'm glad I found you in my random wandering.