Monday, October 8, 2012

Some One Asked For Recipes?.....

So I thought this posted back in July....
Apparently I hit a wrong button some where and it never posted...


So far I have made Yellow Salsa, Peach butter, Blackberry syrup and Stewed tomatoes..  I am hoping to get more Zucchini dehydrated and Ground cherries put into some kind of Jam.. But here are my recipes or how I do things... Warning I rarely follow a recipe to the letter. I will try to put the recipe down as close as possible...

   So first up.......
Zucchini Relish
2 cups Zucchini
1 cup Onion
1/2 cup Sweet green pepper
1/2 cup sweet red pepper
All chopped or shredded
2 Tablespoons Salt
1 3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
*2 teaspoons of Celery seed
*1 teaspoon of mustard seed 
OR
*3 teaspoons of pickling spice
Combine zucchini, peppers and onions sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. 
Let stand with 2 hours 
Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly. 
Combine remaining ingredients bring to a boil add veggies. 
Simmer 10 Minutes. 
Pack Hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/4 in head space.
 Adjust  2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a Boiling water canner. 
Yield about 4 half pints.
*** The ingredients on mine can vary.. With different peppers or more zucchini.. I just kind of throw stuff in till it looks right but then I measure out how much veggies I have to get the  right amount of vinegar mixture...... ;) 

 Peach Butter... 
Well... I had a 10lb box of peaches.. About a quarter of them had been eaten.. I chopped up
 the remainder and covered with water. simmered till soft.. Strained out and run through the
 food processor to chop up the skin and then put it through the Food Sieve(I think thats what
 its called).. Then took that and added Sugar to taste, a couple of Tablespoons of Cinnamon, 
some cloves and a piece of Vanilla bean.. Mix well and simmered for a few hours to desired 
consistency and packed in hot jars and processed according to Ball blue  book instructions.. I got about 9 pints out of that.. Yummy stuff!

Blackberry Syrup...
I had a pan full of Wild Blackberries I added enough water to cook them till soft. 
Put them  through the food mill sieve thingy..  
To help remove the seeds and squish out the juice.. 
 Then I put the juice back on the stove added enough sugar to make syrup and brought to a
 boil for 3 minutes (trying to NOT let it boil over) and then pour into hot jars and process.. 
That one you will have to look up for processing times.. 
I cant remember.. The ball blue book probably has something that can be adjusted for the syrup..
 A teaspoon of this in a glass of sweet tea is the BEST  blackberry flavored tea Ever! I amhaving a hard time Not opening a jar just so I can put some in my tea....


Yellow Salsa
Yellow tomatoes
Yellow Peppers
Yellow or white onions
Garlic
Cilantro
A little sugar
 Equal parts of tomatoes to the rest of the ingredients. 
I put all veggies through the food
 processor skin and all(tomatoes are skin and all) so its all little bitty pieces..  
Then I combined in a pot and cooked down till a little thicker 
then packed in hot jars and water bath processed.. 

Stewed Tomatoes
Tomatoes
Onions
Garlic
Zucchini
Celery
A little sugar
 Put all veggies through the food processor again Tomatoes skin and all. 
Cook down to consistency you want and then pack in hot jars. 
I process all my tomatoes and salsa for 30 minutes in a water bath canner.. 
I am hoping to be able to put up more stuff soon.. 
The lack of rain is making things difficult but with the way I garden I still only have to water 1-2 times a week.. 
Except for the seeds I have just planted. 
I have been keeping them wet so they would germinate and they are..  Yeah!
Our little Nuggets on legs are doing well.. 
One was a cat dinner though.. Was not happy with the cat at all. 
There are Plenty of mice and rabbits to eat with out getting into our stuff!! 
He is just a lazy good for nothin' no account Tomcat...
We are switching back and forth from the green house at night and cage during the day.
 It is so far working.. 

My fence charger is not working and goats have started trying the fence.. 
NOT good.. 
Today was the first time in the 3 years that we have lived here that they got out by the highway! Thankfully Candice and Kyle were home and saw them.. 
They are back and I am borrowing a charger but its not near as hot as mine so I don't know if it's going to work.. I may have to buy a few panels and dry lot them till I can figure out what is wrong. Gotta call the company tomorrow.. 
They sent an email saying they could help me trouble shoot it over the phone. 
I am well past warranty and I have had no real troubles with the charger till now.. 
I hope it can be fixed...I like the Parmak brand in general they are every long lasting and good quality. Found a local guy that fixes them good and cheap..


“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; 
for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; 
yea, I will help thee; 
yea, I will uphold thee with the right
 hand of my righteousness.”
 Isaiah 41:10

No comments: