Saturday, September 15, 2012

39 Chickens......

So Thursday was Chicken Processing day.. 39 chickens all in the freezers. Brenda and I split it so I actually have 19 in the freezer she gave me freezer bags in exchange for my half of the 39th chicken.. Who is planning a processing day and Forgets freezer bags.... That Would be ME!....
  I don't have any gory pics to share so don't worry if you are cringing while scrolling down the page here fearful of bloody chicken pics... I will spare you the details. And besides BOTH cameras are out of commission.. I feel so odd and sad not having a decent camera.. I have been using Kara's little one and its just not the same.. Soon.. I will get mine fixed.. Soon!!

 We were blessed with being able to borrow a chicken plucker thanks to some sweet friends. It is amazing what it can do.. As long as you don't get the bird to hot.. If you do get it to hot then it will skin it for you too.. That is rather *Ahem* interesting....
 Soooo while processing these birds my 10 new laying hens showed up... I now have 5 buff orpingtons and 5 Rhode Island Whites.. I got a couple of  Huge white eggs today!!.. They are a year old and have just started laying. They look a little rough as things were a little crowded I think at their old place. As soon as their feathers grow back I will take some pics and post about them..
 We have 50 more chicks headed here on the 27th. I have to fix the green house between now and then. I also have to fix my fence.. After the pigs and drought I have taken it down in places and I need to rework it. I want to get 6 paddocks were I just had 3 before.. We will see what happens..
  Also is has been raining.. Bunches!! The rivers are flowing good again.. The fields are green and all the animals are happy we have grass again!. I planted some food plot cool weather stuff for the goats. It is starting to come up now. I am hoping it picks up and really grows. We spent much of the summer hiding in the house away from the drought and heat. Now summer is pretty much over.. It was rather eventful for us.. But God was good and IS still good to us!.
 It is already Breeding season for the goats, chickens are finishing up moulting and with the rain my goats are stuck in the barn which smells like one rutty buck! Ick.. Looks like our kidding will start about February 8th.. And may be over with in 48 hours to 4 days!lol.. I will have12 does kidding this year. 6 are first fresheners... What was I thinking??? All well it will be fun...I will make sure to have lots of coffee.. and a break planned from homeschooling for that week...
 I hope everyone has a blessed Sunday!


 Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. Psalm 30:4-5

3 comments:

Carol said...

I remember well the days of chicken plucking growing up. I swore I would never raise meat chickens when I grew up :0) And I haven't!! I would like to get a few for eggs though and just might come spring.

Brenda said...

Things always stay interesting on your hillside farm!

Processing the chickens went pretty fast with everyone working together to get it done. It was a fun day.... and the chicken enchilada's with the fresh chicken was really good. :D

matty said...

I wish you could come help me with mine! LOL Twelve does kidding?? Are you serious!?? Wow! I wouldn't even want to think about that challenge! :P