Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Selling A Goat.... Or any other animal...

 See I didnt disappear!!.. I am not selling my goats or any of my other animals.. But I have helped some friends buy a goat lately.  The Goat, Ms. Trinket is staying here till they can get her a companion. 

She is a little disgusted with me here... 
Can you tell?

She was able to blend in well.
If you look close Bonnie is turning away but has her hair standing up.
Warning the new girl....


 I got to thinking I have posted about Buying a Goat but not about selling... Here is my post on what to look for when Buying a Goat So you are considering buying a goat? 
 I have sold a lot of goat in the almost 10 years I have had goats... I started out selling the first one by word of mouth.. Second time around internet classifieds. Now Its usually Word of mouth, Goat groups/Forums or Craigslist and occasionally the sale barn.. Its been 3 years since I had to take any to the sale barn. Usually extra boys..
 When selling Know your animal!.. If you don't know their history as in parents then know the goat. The good and the bad. I am usually selling Dairy Does so this is the basic list I follow..

1. Where does she come from? Parents, grandparents and anything outstanding that may need to be included.Why you are selling her? Registered Or not? Out of Registered stock maybe?

2. What she is like? Her personality,is she manageable, flighty, the boss ,the sweetie or just a face in the crowd. Overall health, last time she was wormed, what she was wormed with any extra supplements I give. 

3. What is her body style like? Breed, conformation,hoof health, disbudded, polled or horned.. 

4. Udder... What does it look like? Attached well? Easy to milk? Teats small or large? 

5. How well do they behave on the stand? Easy to handle? When you handle the udder are they all over the place or picky about it? I have one I have to have BOTH hands on while milking or she starts lifting up a back leg. Like its pulling her off balance. She is not stomping just lifting her leg.. 

6. Be willing to communicate with possible buyers. If you post an ad dont take 2-3 days to answer it. Be prompt and courteous. These are customers and you want to be recommended to others right? I usually email back and forth till they are ready to come look at them. Or if they send me a phone number I will send my number to them to give me a call. 

7.  TAKE PICTURES!! A Front View, One from each side and an udder shot.. Get on their level for the shot not from up above its not a flattering shot for goats. I will pass over an ad as a buyer if there are no pictures.

8. Kidding history.. If a doe old enough to have kidded. Possible pics of previous kids also.

9. I set prices a little high when posting on Craigslist and then have bargaining room. I have also done trading. I got my milk stand that way!

10. Be aware of the people who may call or come look.. If some one sets off a warning in your head you have the RIGHT TO REFUSE TO SELL! I don't let people come to the house if my husband is not home unless I know them. Just to be safe. Especially internet sales. I have had mostly positive experiences with selling my goats. 1-2 that turned out to not be what they said they were but there is nothing that I can do about that now..   
 I apply these to the other animals too. Rabbits are what we sell the most besides the goats I think. It pays to know your animals. The more you can tell a buyer the better.. When  a buyer visits I offer to put the goat up on the stand and milk her or at least handle her. To show that they are what we say. Of course the day that a buyer visits will be the day some one will get ploppy poos for no known reason, everyone will  decide to hide out in the back pasture or that ONE time the younger will try the electric fence...
 That is all I can think of.. Just think about the ads that catch your eye when you are looking and use that as a starting point for writing your own ad for your goat or anything else you may have for sale!
Congrats to my friend's Lauren, Ben & Family at Proverbs 31 Mommies on the purchase of their First Nubian Dairy Doe.  I think Trinket is the start of a great thing!!!

5 comments:

small farm girl said...

Good post! It's always good to know this stuff. lol

Queenacres said...

I also give CAE testing paperwork, and also let the potential buyer milk the goat (if it's a dairy doe)while they are here. That way you can watch their milking skills, and watch how the doe reacts. Are they open to suggestions?

I have had folks drive 3+ hours to look at a buck, and I flat out refused to sell him to them just based on how the goats reacted to him. If the animal doesn't "take" to the person....they aren't taking the animal!

goatpod2 said...

Been there, done that until we got of selling and breeding goats though, just gave away 5 goats to a nice young guy (he's my age) that is getting into a dairy goat business and his faith is increasing again! We no longer have goats here though just lots of Muscovy ducks, 16 cats, and 3 dogs (1 is my brother's dog).

Amy

OurCrazyFarm said...

It was great to read a post from you, Tonia! I was just thinking today that it had been a long time since you had posted:))

chapinranch said...

Great post Tonia. Animals are great judges of people. Also congrats Lauren , ?Ben and family on your new goat she looks like a jewel good luck and God Bless