Friday, May 4, 2012

Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth...

Whichever you call it...
This is The real McCoy.....

 This is not a snake we typically see on a regular basis.. We know they are here but this is probably the second one I have seen in at least 10 years. We were down at the river today and the girls & friends saw this guy.. He/She was about 3ft and very fat. Had all the signs of a poisonous snake, Stubby tail(You can see it in the top pic under the body) slit shaped pupil and diamond shaped head..
 The Northern water snake looks very similar to a Cottonmouth but the patterns are more visible on the Northern Water Snake which is NOT poisonous. The Cottonmouth is much darker and sometimes you wont even see the patterns.
 This is the Northern Water Snake.. 
 So there is your nature lesson for the day!!lol
 Have a blessed weekend everyone!!!

7 comments:

Heidi Kreider said...

ewwwwww!!! Is it wrong to gasp and stifle a scream as I looked at the pictures? Uck!

So glad you got to observe from afar without getting hurt!

Becky said...

Y.I.K.E.S
We were at the farm night before last, and found a dead rattle snake. The heifers had taken REALLY good care of it. I looked them over really well, but didn't find any bites.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Great clarification! Y'all be careful out there! I saved a baby bullfrog from the mouth of a Northern Water Snake recently. eGads! I don't know where my bravery came from as I didn't know for sure at the time if it were a cottonmouth OR northern water snake. But, I had a very long stick! I did come home and research and I decided it was the northern water snake. Whew! I really do respect snakes.. they just make me a little/lot nervous at times.. lol :) -Tammy

tree ocean said...

lol Tammy. I saved a toad from a garter snake once an that snake wasn't too happy. We saw a Northern Water snake eating a frog this year but the frog was dead so we let the snake alone. And Tonia, I may drool over your early summers but I am glad we don't have that snake here! I have heard timber rattlers are moving into some parts of the state yuck to them too.

Tree

Anke said...

My first reaction was "ewww" - I am not a snake persona and seeing that bad boy (or girl) would have freaked me out.

Julia said...

ewww...scary Tonia! I am so glad we don't have snakes here in New Zealand. Good that you learned a little about this one though.

TJ said...

Wow! That would scared me half to death! Thankfully, we usually only find garden snakes out here.