Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Piggies In A Pasture....

Finally!!!

Bar & BQ thought the Goat barn was their permanent
home.... We had to convince them otherwise... 

Then they thought the Middle pasture was their permanent home...
And we had to show them it wasn't either..

This is the second pasture they have been in... 
There is one more new place to show them.. 
eventually......

I hope they aren't as hard headed the 3rd time around...

Goats ruminating on their hill.. Reclaimed from Bar & BQ
Everyone is in the shade except Sunshine...
She loves the sunshine...Lol
Soaking up the Vit D!


We have our second garden planted!! I have a few more things to add still but the majority of it is in.. We are planting at a friends house that have a huge garden and not much time for it.. I still have things to plant here at home was hoping to go to Bakerscreek this weekend for the festival but I don't see that happening. All well. I will get what I need one way or the other.. Its been very warm this spring.. And at first we were getting rain but now we are starting to lack in that area.. I am usually hoping for a dry day or 2 so I can plant.. Well this year.. I am hoping for rain so I don't have to water... I am praying it doesn't continue on this way...
 I haven't as of yet gotten the turkeys and chickens I wanted to raise this year.. At least I will have pork by the end of the year.. Stinkers that they are.. I am pretty sure Bar can count the ticks of the electric fence.. Pigs are to smart.. When I first decided to get these guys I thought I knew what was needed... I mean I have raised pigs before.. Just not quite like I wanted to this time around.... There isnt much online about pasturing pigs.... at all... Or at least that I could find.. If you have some info please leave me a link in the comments...Please please please....
 I thought get them use to the bucket and they will follow me anywhere.. Well.. that works usually.. Of course we had the fiasco when we brought them home.. Now they are about twice as big a month later... Just a month they have been here?!?!? I was pretty sure its been longer.. Even checked the calender.. Right at a month.. just 5 more to go... Or 150lbs... Which ever comes first...Of course I have no clue what they weigh now.. I am thinking at least 50 lbs if not more. But if they doubled in size then they are closer to 60.. they are almost 3 months old.. So maybe they are bigger. I can look at a goat and get pretty close to their weight.. But NOT a pig.. They are so solid.. They get wheat mids, oats and some barley soaked in whey and/or milk.. Which they love and I have only given them the runs once... from to much milk.. Its best if I let it set out and sour for a day..
 Candice in spite of her blow up while chasing Bar & BQ has taken to them. Whether she admits it or not.. I have caught her petting them!Lol   We tease her about playing with her food.. Which is the normal around here anyway.. Everything is given the best possible life right up till time to well you know........
 Which that reminds me... I have 2 meat rabbit does headed this way soon! Yeah!! They were born about 4 weeks ago.. One is a Chinchilla and the other is a meat cross..  So we will see how things go.. We have been switching things around for our rabbits... I will blog about it one day..
 So with that I am done for the night!!!
 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
 For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words. Ecclesiastes 5:2-3


3 comments:

Becky said...

Jacob recently bought a trio of standard chins at a show to tinker around with. He bred them a few days ago. =)

Sheri Salatin said...

Pigs are so much fun. I love their personalities and they are so photogenic, aren't they?

Sounds like things are really hopping in your neck of the woods. :)

Julia said...

oh..I love their names LOL. I couldn't eat animals I've raised..but then I;m a vegetarian so I wouldn't...if that makes sense.
Yay for maing a new friend. With GOATS and teen GIRLS...what more could you ask for! :0)