Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Newest Additions!!!


I wanna name them Big Bertha and Betty....
Kara(my rabbit kid) says No
Bertha is in front.. She is 1/2 Chinchilla,1/4 Flemish giant and 1/4?
She is almost twice the size of Betty who is full Chinchilla.

These are the start of my Meat rabbit "herd"
 I had to google it to see if they are called herds...
They are... Huh.. whodathunkit...

This is Betty.. She is so sweet..

Bertha... She is sweet too..

These are breeding stock.. 

Pretty sure this Bertha....
Bertha... 

Not Betty or Bertha!
Ground snake the girls found in the yard..
Pretty sure that it the same one that hid in my tators last year!
She is a good sized ground snake!
 Back to the rabbits...  We have moved our rabbits to the ground.. They are still in cages for now but on the ground instead.. They seem much more active and happier down there.. Betty and Bertha share a large cage and will be life time companions with only the buck visiting occasionally. Hopefully raising litters together. They will have their own kindling boxes when the time comes too..
 As for food we have been feeding all of the rabbits as naturally as possible...
Sooo what does that mean? I no longer feed a pelleted feed.. All the ones available to me for a decent price are soy based which equals GMO Soy...  Blah!
 We took a look at their diet in the wild.. They are getting small tree shoots, grass, clovers and garden extras which right now are lettuce. They also get a small amount of steel cut or steam crimped oats along with some whole barley. I am going to be adding a small amount of flax seed too. The young ones have adjusted well.. The olders were having a little bit if difficulty but they are doing good now..
 Since we are moving them around we have to be careful and make sure they have shade all the time. Nothing kills rabbits quicker than sitting in the full sun with no shade.  We will be enlarging cages soon for the small breed does and attaching permanent shade pieces.  Thinking of making one of the hutches into one  big cage for babies. The other we will set the small breeds up on them in the winter unless we figure out something in the meantime.. I am thinking of building a rabbit pen that would house several at once.. Still researching it.. The ups, downs, ins and outs... We shall see....
 

Job 5:8-10

I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause: Which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvellous things without number:Who giveth rain upon the earth, and sendeth waters upon the fields:.....

8 comments:

Allison said...

Cute! We raise Silver Fox rabbits for 4H and meat as well as Mini Rex for 4H. Rabbits are so much fun. Make sure you take the doe to the buck not the buck to the doe when breeding. The doe will attack if he is in her territory. Have fun with your new rabbits!

small farm girl said...

I've raised rabbits for years! But, I've always had them in a cage and fed them pellets. Keep us up to date on what your doing and how they like it. I could change my ways. Lol

North Laurel said...

Ah bunnies! Chickens, I want chickens. But I live in town and I don't think it's allowed. Pooh...
Btw, how's the laundry coming along ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier in the week.

goatpod2 said...

No more rabbits here! Haven't seen many snakes here lately.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Designing a rabbit run sounds like fun, can't wait to see how it comes out!

I raised New Zealand Whites for awhile and ended up selling rather than eating all the babies...there was a good market for the stock back then.

Hens are allowed inside the city limits of our state capital-no roosters, and they must be fenced in. :D

Tree

Queenacres said...

Glad to see you're trying the colony style rabbit raising. I really prefer it.

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Um well... Bertha got out some where last night.. No holes.. No fur to indicate and she is no where to be seen... :(..
I have always taken the Buck to the Doe but all our rabbits are very docile all the time. Handled a lot and caged close by each other...

Becky said...

I hope you find Bertha hopping around your yard!!!
Jacob just got standard chins!! He's got 2 litters due in a week. So far he's really enjoyed them.
I'm REALLY anxious to hear how they do on the ground, so make sure you update! =)