Monday, April 9, 2012

Milking Wars...............

 Okay so I agreed to a trade... I think it will be worth it but my part of the trade is to get to yearlings milking better for a friend.. They are a tad.... Um... well wild.. On the milk stand only! Off the stand they are not bad at all. Friendly sweet loving goats.. Until you put them on the stand......
 There is only one goat that I quit milking because she was to difficult and let her raise babies. She was a Nubian Alpine cross that had a bad attitude when on the stand.. Well guess what these 2 are.... Oh yep You got it if you guessed Nubian/Alpine cross.. I am not a fan of the Alpines. No offense to anyone that likes them.. But they are to high strung and will climb everything possible.. At least the ones I have dealt with. I have seen some beautiful Alpines too but they are NOT for me..
 So anyway Back to the Double A's.. That's what I have nick-named them. They are Ariel and Agnes... Sisters...
  We got them Saturday evening.. I expected them to be upset.. We were pulling  babies, new place and all that.. So we get them on the stand to see how they work.. Oh my did I have flash backs To my one previous "Difficult" milker who was named Scruffy.. Back ends were up and down and all over the place...  We were dodging hooves front and back.... Candice was wearing more milk and  we had A big fat Zero in the bucket... Which if they had been behaving they wouldn't be here... So we tried hobbling but Ariel especially was good at getting out of it.. So it ended up 2 people holding the goats while I milked fast and furious..
  I had to think about hobbling them.. I came up with something that I thought was better. It worked sort of.. we actually ended up with a Little milk in the bucket both milkings Sunday.. When I hobble I use old t-shirt strips so it doesn't really hurt them .Its pretty strong though..
 Now its Monday... I am a little sore.. We are working with some engorgement which is to be expected.. Kara is helping me she has the patience of Job.. Most of the time.. Tonight we hobbled and hand fed them their grain.. Kara stood at the head feeding while I milked.. Ariel of course was trying to go all over the place. But Agnes actually calmed down and let me milk almost all of it out....While Hobbled We let them drink the milk since they are stressed and need all the extra help they can get till they figure out we wont hurt them.. They also get Vit C and I have an udder rub I am using on them. The engorgement isn't bad and tomorrow we are going to be home all day and we plan on putting them on the stand several times a day,just brushing feeding little bits of grain and rubbing them down, talking to them the whole time. They are extremely jumpy to rub on their bellies and of course their udders.. I think with time they will calm down.. I hope so...



So here are my tree goats....

 The spoiled goats.....

Lil Ms. Rachel....
Nibbling.....

Bar.. Behaving.....
Him and his partner in crime have learned what electric fence is.. 
They also know to avoid it.. 
At all COST!.. 

BQ is usually hiding behind Bar...
They are doing an awesome job cleaning up the barnyard..
I plan on scooping it all up and using it to plant potatoes in Next week sometime..

I cannot believe my girls have done this already..
The water was freezing!
No way was I swimming...

Little Water snake Candice caught the other day...

Small Bullfrog Kyla caught..
Kara was to busy using her under water camera...


Let all your things be done with charity.
1 Corinthians 16:14

Good night and wish me luck with the Double A's tomorrow!!!

7 comments:

OurCrazyFarm said...

HaHa! You are a good friend, Tonia!

We only have one first timer this year, and she stands so quiet and acts like she has been milking for years. Good luck! Those milking sessions can become quite a rodeo!

Great pics! Yep~ our kids have been swimming in the pond here, too:)) Brrrr!

Anke said...

I can't believe your girls went swimming already. Brrr, I bet the water was freezing cold... or I'm just a big baby... ;-)
Very nice of you to help your friend with the goats, good luck!!

goatpod2 said...

Been there, done that, nice pictures!

Amy

Brenda said...

Good luck with the new milkers! I'm sure you'll have them milking like old pros in no time at all. But for now ... all I can do is keep from laughing! I can picture the rodeo!

Blondee said...

You are such a blessing to work with your friend's goats! How very kind of you.

I cannot believe the kids went in the water already! Brave!!

small farm girl said...

Good luck with that. lol

TJ said...

Oh, my! Flashbacks to some of our 'experiences'! We ended up having to hobble the goat and then attach the hobble to the milk stand so she couldn't jump with her back feet! You are a great friend! I'm with you on the Alpines! We have a Saanen x Alpine and she is a sweetheart! But she is rare!