Friday, March 30, 2012

Bar AND BQ


Bar is the Black pig
BQ the other one......
They are almost 7 weeks old..


Cute little stinkers huh?
 Well let me tell you about our pig adventures........... Haha..
 We went Wednesday morning to pick up these 2 pigs.. They are both boys, Barrows to be exact.. Barrows are like goat wethers or a steer.. So we go to pick them up.. We were buying them from a friend.. She miscalculated on the size a little and they were bigger than she thought.. instead of 20-25 lbs.. they were 30....  5 lbs does make a difference.. We squeeze them into our little wire and plastic critter cage amid barking dogs and upset momma pigs..  All the way home for less than 10 miles I hear Candice griping about the pigs coming out of the cage. I tell her hold on we will be home in a minute.. She ended up cleaning the van real well!!LOL.. Poor thing has a slight case of OCD..
 We get the pigs into the temporary pen.. Which I will insert in here and say Kyle did tell me to put rocks on it or something to make it heavier.. And we could have avoided the next adventure.... Most of you fellow animal owners may be able to take a goood guess at what happened next...
 Oh yes! They dug out!!! Well Bar did BQ Was stuck and squealing for all he was worth.. Bar run and left BQ behind.. He trucked it through the goat pen and headed to the back of our pasture.. Through the fence to the neighbors and down the trail.... BACK towards Town eventually is where it goes..
 I had my old comfy dilapidated crocs on..I yell at the girls to get boots and get out there.. We ran UP Hill to where they little sucker disappeared too,.... I don't see him... So I keep going around a corner and here he comes right at me.. He stops.. I stop. He turns and runs BACK down towards the highway, the neighbors and town!! I am praying this whole time... Mostly God Help me I am out of shape running around the woods in muck boots and town clothes.. Also figured out I am sorely out of shape... to be running anyway.. The girls are running..
 Bar heads back towards the house then veers off into a strip of woods behind our neighbors house.. But still on the right side of the fence.. Then he crosses the fence!!!.. Candice and Kara Climb under and try to corner him..   He is in this "safe" little clearing under some massive bushes and is happily rooting.. So we get Hobo the Super dog involved!!
 Hobo chases all sorts of little animals and is a successful hunter.. Thankfully Kara has worked with her and when we told her to get the pig she figured out pretty quick who the Pig was!!. But the pig gets away from us again.. Back towards town.. So we are running back uphill and then down to where he is at.. We send Hobo after him. She runs him out and then back towards home.. We all 5 herd him back... We get him cornered back at the house and Back in the pen he goes! He was NOT happy!...
Bar and BQ are now in the back of the goat barn happily digging up the goat barn floor and rooting around in hay. I bring them a bunch of grass, a ground feed soaked in a little milk and a treat.. Hoping to train them to come to Pig Pig.. Once they chill out some more I will get them trained to the electric fence so they can go out in the pasture.....
 We shall see........

 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Timothy 6:6-10

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Your pig adventure will be a story that will be told for generations to come! I can just see Candice, Kara, and Kyla sitting around with their grandchildren telling of the great pig adventure and Hobo the wonder dog! :D

I'm glad you got him back into a safe pen before he made it all the way to town.

WeldrBrat said...

Why do you keep wearing me out?!

Two words for my lesson of the day...

hot wire. LOL

OurCrazyFarm said...

Hmm.... not so sure I read this at the perfect time, as we are headed out to the neighbors in a minute after a missing horse, and Rob is picking up 8 little piglets this afternoon .... Glad you caught the fast little guy! I had to laugh reading about your trek through the woods:)))

TJ said...

What an adventure! Farming sure grows a sense of humor :) Love the names, too! Thanks for putting the subscribe by email link!!!

chapinranch said...

I feel for ya Tonia we had an episode like that a few years ago two luil piggies got right out of their pen made of hog panels ,except the ranch help was why they got out forgot to tie the last panels after putting them in and we chased them over 30 acres LOL funny to tell now but wasn't funny when it happened :-)

Anonymous said...

I loveeee this story, very entertaining! I brought two goats home from auction one time with no plan...one was a real dwarf Nigerian drawf very teeny like a chihuaha and she escaped the quick pen with the other one...which we caught him and put him in a cog crate in the house as it was dark at that point. Luckily she stuck around as I had two big wethers out back at that time, so the next morning I used the other one to bait her to a dish of grain. They had bonded enough on the ride homne it worked. We named her, "lightning" cos that little teeny goat could run really fast! I tackled a pig on the side of the road for some folks once (they were chasing it) I smelled like pig the rest of the ride! phew! and my little pig the Firebird caught at the pig auction would go right through the electric with a little yelp....lol. Your boys are good looking pigs, cute names too. :)

Tree

Amanda said...

There is never lack of excitement on the farm, is there? Great post.

small farm girl said...

We would raise pigs when I grew up. We had many adventures like these. Gotta love the little piggys. lol