Wednesday, February 22, 2012

TOOTHPASTE!

Of course this isn't toothpaste or even a goat named toothpaste...
This is Mercy and you can just barely see the leaf hanging out of Bonnie's mouth...
Mercy is Eyeballing it....


One of my Light Brahma cross hens..
She isn't even a year old yet...
Her and her nest mate are both laying already...


And NOW the toothpaste...
Sorry it was late and I got a little messy with it...


 I have tried natural toothpaste before and hadn't really found any I liked.. Tried just baking soda and well that's just nasty.. Oil pulling is good.. but I forget to do it.. and I still need to brush afterwards.. So I came across a link for uses for Coconut oil that some one posted on facebook... Thought well I will try it as it sounds doable.... It is very much so... It wont foam up like regular toothpaste but seriously its not the foam that cleans the teeth... So here is the recipe. I blended it all up in my food processor in less than 10 minutes from start to finish...
 3 Tablespoons Baking Soda
 3 Tablespoons Coconut oil
 25 drops of essential oil( I used Spearmint)
1 packet of Stevia( I used 1 tsp of Xylitol
2 teaspoons of Vegetable Glycerin
Blend the Baking Soda and Coconut oil well. Then add the sweetener, Veggie Glycerin and essential oil and blend till well mixed.. I an storing mine in a jar.. Its soft as long as your bathroom doesn't get to cold... Like mine..Lol I also doubled it and didn't add enough Spearmint oil. Its very faint since I only put half the amount called for..
 It will make you drool while brushing your teeth but that's okay..  I have also noticed less of a need for lip balms since using this! Kyle said it wasn't bad and I just sent a jar up for the girls to start trying.. So we will see... I love it... Just more spearmint next time!

4 comments:

goatpod2 said...

Nice pictures and the toothpaste sounds interesting.

Amy

V.L. Locey said...

Love the kids! I`ve never tried anything but store toothpaste.

Carol said...

All I have to get is the food glycerin and I am ready to give this a shot. I may add some oil of cloves also because we both have sensitive teeth. Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

I actually like baking soda for a tooth paste, but I also have some coconut oil and am going to try your receipt..I'll let you know.