Wednesday, January 11, 2012

So Disheartening.....

 Since 4 pm this afternoon we have lost 5 of our 12 baby goats... Including Kara's little Elliebrat I previously posted about....  We lost Maryann's 2 boys and 2 of Hope's girls.... I was in shock to find 2 dead and 10 seriously sick babies.. We had been out just a few hours before and had babies that were just fine bouncing around like normal..
So after going over all the symptoms and stuff I have come to the conclusion that its probably an E.coli infections.. My Maran rooster and his hens decided to start roosting over the babies.. And babies being babies I think they probably nibbled on chicken poo in the process.
 I have treated for it and I am giving electrolytes every little bit some are already responding to it. Others are slowly but surely. In my 9 years of raising goats I have never lost this many this quick.. It makes you sick to your stomach.. Chickens have always been around my goats too.. Even though they didn't roost in the barn.. The Marans will be forced to roost else where when I tear out the divider....
 I am proud of my girls. They buckled down despite the heartbreak and got things done.. They are tough girlies..
 Say a little prayer for us tonight if you don't mind..
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1Peter 5:7

13 comments:

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Oh how sad, poor babies. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Oh Tonia I am so sorry!~ I have never heard of babies going so fast. Cocci can take them out but over a couuple days...oh I hope you can save the rest! Hugs to you and yours!
Tree

Becky said...

=`( I am so sorry!! How sad. I hope you can save the rest. Please post how everything goes!

Anke said...

I am so sorry Tonia, it must have been absolutely heartbreaking for you all. I hope the rest will make it through!

phylliso said...

How terrible to lose so many so fast,may God give you comfort & you have already figured out what may have caused this,I`m praying for the mama goats & your family,phyllis

sawn48 said...

We have lost several of our chickens of late,and our house dog, and when your life evolves around your animal family, it is devastating to loose any of them. My heart aches for you and your family. We have been through so much pain with our losses lately,we understand your pain.Although I know that is not much comfort to you,we do care.

MilkMaid09 said...

That's aweful! And so suddenly too. I'm really sorry for yours and the girls' loss. Prayers that the others bounce back quickly.

goatpod2 said...

Hugs & prayers! So sorry for your loss.

Blessings,

Amy

matty said...

Oh my! Sending prayers for goats and girls and Momma! How devastating! We use pedialyte for our gals. Do you make your own or use that? It seems to work well and the gals like it... and I can freeze what they don't use!

Flat Creek Farm said...

I'm so sorry and sad for you and your girls ;( Bless all of you.. saying a prayer now for much better days ahead!! Hugs, Tammy

Christine said...

I am soooo sorry. That's heartbreaking. I hope you've figured it out and can get things under control. (hug)

Julia said...

{{hugs}} I am so sorry Tonia..how very sad. I have just said a prayer for you and your girls. I hope the others stay well!

small farm girl said...

I'm so sorry to here that. I would have just sat down and cried. But thank you for passing along about chicken poo. I'll keep an eye out for ours.