Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkey Doomsday.....

The girls and I helped out to butcher turkeys at Real Farm Foods today...
Cody, Dawnnell and Taylor Holmes run a grass fed operation..
Cody's blog Click Here
You can read more at the link above.
They are really nice people..
Dawnnell getting the fire going for the water to scald the birds..

Cody bring in the first birds....

Scalding the birds one at a time...

Cody showing how to clean and gut...

Candice helping Taylor off the birds as quickly and humanely as possible...

Plucking...
I think turkeys are easier to pluck...
But its been a loooooong time since I plucked a chicken ..
 I have skinned them for the most part..

More cleaning...

Plucking and Cleaning...

Cleaning and Plucking.....

Last step before tagging and bagging?.....
Cleaning.. AND Plucking....
 The girls didn't think plucking was so bad.. Lol I was 14 years old and my parents and grandparents were butchering 50 chickens one day.. One HOT summer day!!(my grandma's idea)...  I bargained with my mom to clean the whole house while they butchered them.. She was fine with  the deal, I was really fine with it BUT my Grandma thought I should pluck at least one chicken... She can be a little domineering.... Okay that's putting it lightly.. She can be ALOT domineering..
  I went out, plucked ONE chicken, slapped it on the table and  walked Stomped off.. I should have been disciplined for being disrespectful but my Grandma knew no boundaries and thought nothing of trying to override my mom and dad's authority when it came to their kids and to anything really.. My Grandma didn't think highly of my mom but that's a whole other blog post on people and how horrible we can be to each other.. Grandparents are for spoiling the kids.. Mom and Dad are raising the kids and have the responsibility of training them in the way they should go....Okay Okay.. I will stop there with that!LOL
 So back to the turkey Processing..... I think my girls did pretty good for their first time butchering turkeys.. I am pretty proud of them.. It was a fairly cool day and so the smell wasn't to bad.. It went pretty quick.. But I will be pretty happy to find my bed here in a few minutes!Lol Good night all!

Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways.

For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.
Psalms 128:1-2

3 comments:

Becky said...

We have gotten our turkey from a local grass fed farm now for the past 2 years! I love that our turkeys ran free and ate bugs, wasn't pumped full of "junk" and had a great life before it landed on our table. =)

OurCrazyFarm said...

Your post brings me back to our hot summer days and plucking chickens this year with teenage boys, rather than teenage girls. They all fought over who got to do the butchering part, as the girls hid inside cleaning the house:))

Happy Turkey Day!

goatpod2 said...

No butchering here since we don't eat much meat anymore anyways but we will eat it occasionally though.

Amy