Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hornet's Nest....

So neat to see....

Hanging up above my head....

Really up there.....

WAY UP THERE!!Lol

Many old people say that if the hornets build their nests low

in the trees, it means that a severe winter is coming; if the
hornets' nests hang high, the following winter will be mild.
                                         quote by Vance Randolph in Ozark Superstitions

 I found this book when googling hornet's nest superstitions. It had some really interesting info about the Missouri/Arkansas Ozark Mountains and the Hillbillies that lived here. I would like to find Mr. Randolph's other books about the Ozarks too.. He moved to Missouri in 1919 and never left. Some of the things he covered in the Ozark Superstitions book are things I have heard from my own family and others who have lived here and have been here for several generations.
 My great, great grandpa moved to Laclede County, Mo. There maybe one more great in there... but I was one of several generations to have been born and raised there.. We just moved away about 3 years ago to a neighboring county( yep I know big world travellers!) LOL.
 I am not a big believer in Old Wives Tales.. I tried planting by the Almanac One time.. Its was an epic failure. to many rules and regulations! So I went back to my usual way and it worked out just great. I do know the moon affects thing.. I worked in a nursing home for a year and a half.. Its got a little crazy on a full moon!lol But I think things can go to far.. But that is just me.. Woolly worms that are extra woolly or striped different have always proven to me that they are just bigger than others and some have more color.. Now if an animal gets an extra fuzzy winter coat and gets it early I maybe a little more concerned..
 I don't think bad of some one following these things. I am just not convinced they are particularly true and its to many details for me to follow.. I think to much of it lines up with astrology and I don't care for that stuff.. I never read my horoscope or  anything of that nature not even in fun.....
 Anyway Its getting very late... I am very sleepy and starting to ramble obviously... 

Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing:
and a wise man's heart discerneth both time and judgment. 
 Ecclesiastes 8:7

6 comments:

Blossom said...

Interesting about the hornet's nest. And wow- that's a big one!
Here's to a mild winter, eh? ;)

And about the laundry soap- do you use a large bucket for yours? Mine would make 5 gallons but I don't have a bucket. I split it up into smaller containers (one reason I mixed some with the rest of the store bought soap). It is very concentrated this way :D and thick!

goatpod2 said...

Interesting stuff! We have a hornet's nest that is up high in a corner of one of our garages.

Amy

Audrey said...

Very interesting...I just saw 2 hanging low. I did hear Farmers almanac said it will be a bad winter. The nest are quite beautiful.

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Supposedly the farmers Alamanac for here has said a mild wet winter for us.The weather man has said a hard winter. So we will see....

V.L. Locey said...

That WAS a big nest!

matty said...

I love the nest! And, I really hope it is an accurate wive's tale! I don't want to deal with ice --- snow is okay -- no ice! LOL

Enjoy this warm snap!