Saturday, November 5, 2011

G-R-E-E-N..................

HOUSE!!!
Woo Hooo!
Its not very big but that's okay..
 About 6X8 and still need the door and front added..


It took me and the girls about 2 hours to get it put together.
Till we got to a stopping point...


Staked down and sharp edges covered with duct tape..

Tying down the plastic...

My patient detail girls!


The stopping point!...
Kyle has to frame in the front and make a door.

Beautiful Fall Pic!


Our greenhouse is constructed basically like the panel barn except not as big and has clear plastic on it. All sharp edges are covered with duct tape. I need to add shelves and such too.. I want to see how long it stays warm and if I can grow lettuce year around. Its on the south side of the house fairly protected from the North/West winds..That is where most of our storms blow in from in the winter. I am also worried because I put it right under a downspout where the water pours off the roof?!?! What was a I thinking?..  Now I have to figure out how to direct that water constructively.....
 I am excited! I have wanted some sort of a green house for a while now..
And its almost to the point of being usable. Yeah!!


He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread:
 but he that followeth after vain persons shall have poverty enough.

A faithful man shall abound with blessings:
but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.
 Proverbs 28:19-20









9 comments:

Julia said...

oh yay Tonia! I'd love a green-house one day (and grow lettuces all year round too) Enjoy your autumn weather :-)
blessings,
Julia

goatpod2 said...

Very nice!

Amy

Brenda said...

That is so cool! Well, actually I hope it's warm! :D

I had a self-constructed green house when my kids were young and it was warm and like summer in there ... even in January with snow on the ground outside. It was such a wonderful retreat from winter. Enjoy!

Carol said...

I'm trying so hard not to be jealous and just celebrate that you have a green house :) Hopefully by nest year I will have one too !!! Congratulations and hope you do get to have lettuce all winter.

V.L. Locey said...

What a nice little greenhouse!

Blossom said...

Love your greenhouse :) And what practical skills your girls have learned :) I still don't know how to do things like this... never too late to learn ;)
What did you use for the frame? Please excuse my ignorance: and the plastic? Where did you find that??
I think I could do this! We have a perfect spot for a greenhouse in our backyard.

PS- thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. I appreciate that I am not the only one that feels the tug of 'measuring up'. We are each special and the way God made us...for a reason!

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Blossom for the frame its Cattle Panels, a T-post and rebar. They are 16X4ft and flexible but strong enough to hold up for something like this.
The plastic Kyle brought home from work but from what I understand you need at least a 6mil plastic sheeting(most Good drop clothes are 3mil) and you can buy it at any home improvement store. I got to buy some to finish it. Kyle thougth a 60 ft roll was about $40 at Lowes. Its been a little while since we checked though.
Do get a better idea of the frame Idea look up my Panel Barn on here. Its much bigger but general idea. I duct taped all wire ends so they wouldnt poke through the plastic. Once we get the front framed in I will do a better post on the How-to's..

TJ said...

Now THAT is a great greenhouse! We use that panel fence for shelters all the time and love it! I never thought of making a greenhouse out of it!

Blossom said...

Thanks, Tonia, for the answer (almost forgot I asked ;)!