Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Deer Season 2011!!!

This is my baby girl!! She was been hunting since she was 10 and has gotten a small doe. Then not much luck till this morning at about 7am!! That is a 7 point buck!She is absolutely thrilled! So are we!! She made a clean lung shot. She was so happy to have hit were she aimed!Lol That will put a good amount of meat in the freezer!
They still have 3 tags to fill. 2 doe and 1 any deer tag. They have till Next Tuesday!
Hunting is a good way to supplement  your family meat supply. It takes a little bit to learn how to cook it. I have had some not so great meat and some Awesome deer meat. This is a younger buck so it wont taste as gamey as a big mature buck would. We will grind up most of the meat to be used as burger, cube some of it up into stew meat and then fine grind some for jerky.. Yummy stuff!.. This will be our first time for Jerky so we will see...
Right now I have a cooler full of meat to get to work on!

9 comments:

goatpod2 said...

No deer meat for us, my parent's and I don't eat much meat anymore.

Amy

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

To each their own! I am not an advocate of a vegetarian, vegan or caveman diet. I think Moderation in all foods is needed and Americans dont have that. Its all one thing or the other and we need a little of this or that. Not a bunch of meat and no veggies or a bunch of fruit and veggies and no meat. A little bread and dairy thrown in there for a good balance. But everyone has their own opinions....

MilkMaid09 said...

Go Kara!!! I have yet to get a deer :( . I was hoping that once Husband gets one he'll watch the boys so I can go out!
We use nearly all deer meat in our dishes. Usually the guys get enough to last us the year or so - most of it is in burger and we usually make jerky too. If we do have beef it's homegrown anyway and I'm thinking I may keep a whether or two to try for next year since mine'll be born late this year when ppl won't be in the mood for buying. Is it much like deer?

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Goat meat is a lot like deer in my opinion just no game flavor at all. As a matter of fact side by side in the freezer its hard to tell apart..

small farm girl said...

I was raised on deer meat. When I married my Hubby, he owned cattle. I thought fresh beef tasted funny when I first tried it. If I ever want to get the feeling of home, just give me some deer backstrap. lol

Brenda said...

She looks very happy. I'm sure the meat will make some wonderful meals.

Anke said...

I love deer meat, but sadly we don't know anybody around here that goes hunting. We've made deer jerky before and it was delicious by the way.

matty said...

The Mister loves venison! And the jerky! Happy hunting!

V.L. Locey said...

Way to go! We haven`t had any luck in archery this year with deer, but rifle will open soon and maybe Mister or Miss will bring home a nice buck like that one!