Friday, October 21, 2011

Hillbilly Chicken Pen!

Since one of my "hens" turned out to be a roo and a nice one at that...
(Funny thats how I got my Lt Brahma roo too.....)
I decided to split my flock...
My older Light Brahma Rooster has all the older hens..
Mr. Hen has all the newer hens and our wild little banty...
Once they are use to roosting here I will let them out to clean up after the goats again.
I wouldn't mind them roosting in the goat barn but they were roosting in my kidding pens..
I didn't like the thought of sticking my hand in chicken poo when dealing with babies..
That stuff does not like to wash off!!!!
One Hillbilly chicken pen complete wit a piece of tarp, tin/quonsent hut and several shapes and sizes of wire....
Hey a Hillbilly gots a do what a Hillbilly gots to do... ;)

Oh look I have more goat pictures!!lol...Imagine that...
They were watching to see if I was bringing food...

They decided to have a closer look......

Oops pics got out of order!!

The babies.... From left to right...
Ben, Polly & Bonnie
So things have been busy around here.. I think I have been saying that for the last several months. But we have another full weekend coming up and one after that is full too! All well its all good and will slow down soon.. Hopefully...
 The goats are all due fairly soon.. We have about a month to the first possible due date. I have been struggling with the barber pole worm.. Finally a combination of herbal dewormer, Valbazen and Copper Sulfate in their water is doing the trick. They are all looking much better.  I started the herbal dewormer while waiting for the Valbazen and Copper Sulfate to get here.. Now I had done Copasure for a long time for supplementing copper but its expensive and I needed something in their system now.. I found Copper sulfate for Chickens and Turkeys on Jeffers livestock. With in days they started looking Much better! 
 Bonnie my bottle baby had tapeworms also and before I could get the Valbazen in her she had started passing the tape worms. So the herbal dewormer was helping. She is still on the bottle.. Just one a day..... But she had such a rough time there for a while that I cant help but baby her some...lol Anyway she has grown a great deal in the last 2 weeks. She is all Sass too! If you sit down in the goat pen she is in your lap..All 45 lbs of her!
Why is it that in the summer 80* in the house can feel so warm but in the winter can be chilly??lol We have started a fire and its pretty chilly out! Fall is definitely here! All well it had to get here sooner or later..

Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
Psalm 103:2-5

3 comments:

goatpod2 said...

Nice pictures and good Psalm.

Blessings,

Amy

Carol said...

Great pics!!! Those critters sure keep you busy!

Livin' out loud said...

Awesome! I love the hillbilly coop..its definitely something we would do lol!!