Sunday, October 23, 2011

All Purpose Flour......

 So you may think I am going to post something about flour or maybe I am going to tell you how bad that bleached out all purpose flour is for you... Well it is bad for you but that's not what I am going to post about.. I found another use for flour(any kind)...
 Saturday The girls and I went to Brenda's to trim goat hooves... Now I have been trimming goat hooves for about 8 years maybe  a little longer.. I have made some bleed occasionally especially if I am trying to correct some and it's hard to gauge where the quick is.. However nothing near as bad as this one Saturday..
 I was trimming Emma's hooves and had just started. Barely had taken any off and she started bleeding pretty good out of the tip of one hoof.. So I did my usual thing and sprayed it with Iodine and went on to the other hoof keeping an eye on the bleeder.. It wasn't great but not horrible.. I took about two snips and apparently hit a gusher.. Its bleeding like crazy.. So we take and pack bloodstop powder on it.. Nope it bleeds through and keeps bleeding. We put pressure on it and still continues to bleed.. Other hoof is starting to get a good puddle under it..  I am thinking "WHAT THE HECK IS THE DEAL?" SO I put that hoof down and look at the other and with in seconds the other one had puddled all around her hoof.. Brenda puts a pressure bandage on it and it bleeds through the padding and tape and is basically pouring blood.. Its Horrible!! I am thinking 90 to nothing trying to think of something else to do. So I remember Flour stops blood flow... Brenda is holding her leg up keeping pressure on it but every time she pulls her hand off it starts bleeding again..
 So I run to the house and grab some flour.. I take a handful and pack it on the hoof holding it there for a few seconds... minutes.. I don't know.. But it was quick that with in a few minutes it quit bleeding.. We kept it above her heart level for a few more minutes watching it.. Nothing... So then we let her put her foot down.. and watch some more.. No more blood.. It worked so well I was shocked.. The bloodstop powder didn't even slow it down....
 So Guess what is a new staple for when I am trimming hooves or anything else that may cause major bleeding?? You got it................ FLOUR!!............ Not just for making Bread!!

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Good to know! Thanks for the info!!!

Carol said...

Who would of thunk ? :)

goatpod2 said...

We hardly use All Purpose flour anymore though.

Amy

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Well Technically Any Flour will work....

Brenda said...

I am SO glad you knew about the blood stopping properties of flour. It was looking pretty bad for quite a while. I was getting concerned that we would loose her to blood loss if we didn't get it stopped soon. And, it was only seconds that you held the flour on the bleeding hoof. Keeping it elevated for several more minutes also helped it not start bleeding again too.

And, one of the other things I've noticed is that she doesn't seem to be sore on that foot either. It hasn't slowed her down at all.

I appreciate the great job you and your girls did trimming the hooves ... all 20 goats.

matty said...

that is brilliant. it happened to me yesterday as I was trimming kids' hooves... I thought I had killed her! Thanks for the tip!

small farm girl said...

Good to know! I'm going to be doing the deed here really soon.