Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Good-bye Moses....

Moses will be leaving soon....
He is going to go help start a herd of Nubians for a very nice lady.

I debated for a while whether to sell him or not.
But decided in the end our place is to small to keep a buck full time.
Its hard to rotate pastures and I really don't want to drylot anyone.

He will be leaving behind lots of these though!Lol
Ben and Polly are now 3 weeks old and growing like weeds!
Speaking of weeds they like them alot!
 So back to why I am selling Moses and how I am going to work things with out a buck... We only have about 3 acres fenced here. I have gotten Rotational Grazing in but would like to make it more like Managed Intensive Grazing(smaller lots, shorter periods of time) but more time and fencing are needed.. So I decided to not keep a buck and wether anymore. I don't like drylotting anyone and its to hard to rotate to keep the buck away from the does till time for breeding. I only needed him for about 3 weeks this year and then he was done. Of course he decided to do things Earlier than I wanted so I will have November babies instead of January....
 I may buy a bottle buckling in the spring and when he gets old enough let him breed then sell him each year. I am always wanting to try milking through. Its tough to do with a buck on the place since he comes into rut and then the girls start coming in heat and its mass chaos till everyone settles!lol.. They will still come into heat with out a buck on the place but I am hoping it will not be like when the buck is just a wire away...So we will see....
 In the mean time we are saying Good-bye to Moses.. I think he is going to a very good home. She is so excited to be getting him. That always make me happy!

2 Peter 3:9

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

6 comments:

Providence Acres Farm said...

Goodbuy Moses!
Good luck wih the new arrangements! I hope it goes well for you! Less stress is always better :-)

Linda said...

Ah! But it sounds like a good move for all concerned!

small farm girl said...

I've been wondering about the whole buck thing myself.

Brenda said...

I'm glad you found a really good home for Moses. If you're interested ... you can have your pick of my Nubian bucklings born this season. They'll also be Latte's sons with his sweet nature and great genetics. I'm sure we can find some way to barter a deal! Let me know if you're interested.

goatpod2 said...

I know how it is on deciding which ones to keep and which ones to sell but at least we don't have to deal with those decisions anymore.

Blessings,

Amy

Trisha said...

Sounds like a hard decision, but for the best in the long run :)