Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mountain Lions??? Noooo....

 According to the Missouri department of Conservation we didn't have ANY here till recently... Well apparently People have started using their wildlife cameras to disprove the "fact" that they weren't here. The latest sighting was down in Alton, Mo which is about an hour(maybe) from us..... The other sighting had been in Northern Missouri. Several hours from us... MDC-Mt Lion Sighting 
 I have seen them here.. I had no camera with me that night and I was heading over to a friend's house who was out of town to do her chores.. As I came down the road it crossed in front of me.. As my lights hit it I thought "That is a big dog!..... With a Really long tail..... NO WAY!!!" It also had a small head with very pointed ears!! It went into the field next to the road so I turned around thinking No way would it still be there.. There is sat on the other side of the fence watching me! Oh so creepy.... I had about 30 minutes worth of chores less than a 1/4 mile from where I saw the Mt Lion.. Talk about flying through chores and jumping at shadows! I was done in record time and back  in my car in no time at all!
 So now I am looking at the map of sightings and other physical evidence of Mountain lions in Missouri and about 4 counties starting with the neighboring county to the east of us have had both!! We have also had black bears in our county about 7 miles away.....
I may be more careful when Hobo starts barking at night.........

11 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my goodness how creepy!! LOL I'd probably never leave the house if Jacob got one of THOSE on his trail camera!! We do have them around here in south central Kansas. Ranchers have reported seeing them while they are out working cattle. One girl we know even said one hissed/screamed at her.

Red Gate said...

I totally sympathize! We are having coyotes, bobcat, and as of this summer, mountain lions moving in to the area surrounding Red Gate. This summer, a farmer just a few miles from us found one of his calf's carcass hanging up in a tree. Only 1 thing that can do that! We have all that around here, too. I just keep my dog around. They'll let you know if something is out there.

Josh said...

Kristy and I heard one about a month and a half ago. It wasn't the thought that there was one here that bothered me; it was that eerie sound it was making.

Carla said...

OH yes they are here lots actually, someone told me that they have been reintroduced to our area.. they tend to fallow the plate river.. many have been see on the outside of Omaha Lincoln area of Nebraska so i suppose if they are here then they are there too

Spinner said...

We are in the same situation here in southern Indiana. We personally had seen them twice and other people were reporting seeing them, but it wasn't until the DNR set up a game camera where a pony had been killed and hidden that they finally admitted that they were in the area. They had been telling everyone that they were just seeing dogs and bobcats.

goatpod2 said...

We have heard bob cats on our neighbor's hill before and there was a sighting of a cougar or mountain lion an hour and 20 mins. from us in the town where my parent's grew up!

Blessings,

Amy

Queenacres said...

All I can say is LGD's and loaded guns are your best defense if they begin to prey on your animals. If you have cameras up....check them often.

Trisha said...

Ahh! That would freak me out too!! Not something I would want to run into!!

Blossom said...

Yikes! Mt Lions are beautiful but I'm very glad that we live in the city (well, in that respect) so that I do not have to worry about them (as much- not nearly as much).
Hope all is well!
Thank you for commenting on my book review post. Yea, those are books that I would like to have the time back from reading -as well as the fact that they are not good reading in the first place. Live and learn...it probably won't be the last books I wish I hadn't read!

GardenofDaisies said...

I heard that one had been seen on the far north side of Kansas City, not far from I-435 and Cookingham Drive.

small farm girl said...

They say we don't have mountain lions here either. But, I have seen them too. We have pictures of bears in our back yard. I'm waiting on the pictures of Bigfoot to show up anyday. lol