Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bottle Babies..... Gotta Love'm!


About 7 years ago I started with my own bottle babies..
It was Bonnie's grandma And her sister..
My mom had started with a Nubian Doeling and Boer Buckling From the Salebarn..
About 2 year's before and they survived our Poor attempts at goat keeping.
Our Ethel is granddaughter to those first 2 goaties! 
I had been helping her with her goats all this time and getting ready for my own.
I had settled on Nubians..
And in exchange for bottle feeding some of her babies
and for my birthday she gave me twin Nubian doelings.
One looked a lot like Ms. Bonnie here in the pic.. 
Who is my current bottle baby of course!

Bottle babies are Very hard to get Good pictures of....

Because they want to be close....

VERY CLOSE!!!LOL

She only fits about half way in my lap now...
But she will be there if I sit down...

And is Quite comfortable there..

"Hey Come back and sit down!! I was comfy!" 
 I have had Dam raised babies that are Almost as friendly as Bottle Babies but not near as often.. Bottle baby bucks that are made into wethers almost ALWAYS end up Annoying and whiny!lol.. The girls are easier to train for Me... Doesn't mean that it works that way for everyone. Just my experience!
 I am considering again this year bottle feeding all babies. Its easier to sell babies that I dont intend to keep Especially does and intact bucks. And its easier to wean so you don't have to separate from mom and fight both parties trying to keep them separate just to milk when babies are almost as big as Mom..... Certain ones in my herd are easier to pull babies and milk.. They do very well as a milker and are good moms just seem rather relieved they don't have a kid to tend too.. Others are such good moms that I wouldn't want them to be denied motherhood.. They do so well with kids....  I will most likely make an individual decision based on the doe, How many kids and whether there are any complications with mom or babies... Can't wait for babies.... But I can wait for winter Thankfully we have Autumn First!....

5 Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.

6 Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast.
7 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. Psalms 36:5-7

7 comments:

Carol said...

What a sweet baby!! They always looks so sweet in your photos but I"m sure they are more work than I can handle with a job too :( I can dream though.

goatpod2 said...

I remember our bottle babies! We still have our very 1st one, she was born 9 years ago, almost 10.

Blessings,

Amy

My Life And Everythng InBetween said...

Such cuties! Love the goats! We're almost neighbors! We're in Mountain View, Mo.!!

Amanda said...

I'm contemplating bottling again myself next year. Bottle babies and I have a love hate relationship. I love not having to deal with the separating up at night. I hate the misbehaving at shows wanting mama and screaming, etc. of the dam raised kids. I can't say there's much difference in personalities since we spend so much time with our kids everyone is pretty much in your pocket but it is nice not to have to worry about milking and/or feeding with those dam raised babies. Here's to hoping for every doe we get a buck to leave on LOL. Although, bottling and dam raising at the same time was pretty successful for is this past spring. We just made sure to get those dam raised kids good and hungry and they took the bottle every morning while we milked out the doe.

Feral Female a.k.a. Vicki Locey said...

Bottle babies are a breed all onto themselves aren`t they? I have a couple and they are the dearest things!

matty said...

I adore my bottle babies. They are the special ones, aren't they??

GardenofDaisies said...

OH, your goats are so sweet. Look at that little one sitting on your lap!