Friday, June 3, 2011

Poor Emma....

 Her labor started sometime yesterday but never really got going. I didnt have anything to help her along med wise other than Red Raspberry and it doesnt work fast. She had reddish brown goop coming out and fluid.. I knew that wasnt good. Her ligaments wouldnt loosen up for me to get in a try to pull the babies. SO her Goat Momma came over and got things going. She was able to push past and get in to the babies. First one was sort of balled up at the front and was blocking the other 2. It had been dead for a few days anyway. The other 2 would have been okay if the 1st one hadnt blocked the exit..
 Emma is acting okay though. We milked her out last night and let her drink it. She sucked down about a pint and a half. Plus about a gallon of Red Raspberry/Comfrey tea. She has nibbled at her grain overnight too. She seems to be in good spirits though. We will get her up on the milk stand and milk her out this morning. So hopefully that will stimulate her uterus some more to finish passing the afterbirth.. 
Tough stuff.....

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Sorry Tonia! That sounds exactly like what happened to my Praise, Glad she and the other babies are ok.

matty said...

Oh, Tonia! Poor little girl! She lost all three?? How terrible for all of you!

I hope she continues to heal. And, I am very grateful she was with you because you are the one person I would want with my gals because you are so knowledgeable!

And, btw, I can't really keep focused either when I clean. That is why starting at the front door seems to work! LOL

Out on the prairie said...

This made me think of all the times i helped with a few critters. i had a cemetery at the end of my garden that I laughed thinking what would happen should someone plow it up.I have 3 friends who are vets so have a good backup if needed.Fun looking through your blog.
Steve

OurCrazyFarm said...

So sorry Tonia:(( I appreciated your comments so much this morning~ gave me a good cry:))

Brenda said...

I'm really glad Emma was at your house. I know she'll recover quickly with your tender care. I hope she gives you lots of good milk.

Feral Female said...

Awww dang it, that`s always such a rough experince for both goat and owners. Sorry sweetie.

Blondee said...

I am sorry to hear this, Tonia. The miracle of life can be just heartbreaking at times, can't it? :(