So I mentioned a couple blog back about having to make a decision about certain goats here on our farm.
We have very limited space here and things had gotten a little crowded. But April my older Reg. Nubian doe had become a source of stress. She has issues.. She was a great mom if the babies survived and she didn't have to much trouble. After looking through my records I realized I have had to help with every delivery and only 5 out of 9 of those babies had made it. Now even though she was older she is not that old. Just now turning 7 yrs old. I got her as a 2 1/2 yr old right after her second kidding. She milked alot. sometimes almost 2 gallons a day.
Then last fall her milk suddenly started tasting funny and she dried up with in a week.. She had started her heat cycles. Everything is indicating Cyst on her ovaries. But I haven't found a vet to ultrasound her that isn't an hour away and decent priced.. So I finally decided I was going to send her to the processor. Even scheduled it.. I was thinking How in the world am I going to drop her off there?? But knowing I could sell her to an unsuspecting person of her troubles. But I was going to do it no matter how hard it was. I really thought she would be here to a ripe old age... You know 12 or 13 yrs old.. Not 7...
So Thursday a guy stops to look at babies but he didn't want bottle babies.. So we were talking goats and I was telling him about the different ones. I was telling him about April and all the trouble she had. How I had her scheduled for the processor.. He said I will buy her How much you want?... I said she cannot be bred. He said Nope not going to breed her. He runs a herd of 40 goats behind his cattle to help clean up pasture. He only breeds certain ones each year for milk to raise calves. So I told him my price and we went back and forth a little bit and she went to a new home. It was much easier on me to do this than to take her to the processor. I will still be taking 2 wethers to the processors next week but that is their sole purpose.
With April and Abby(who is doing great at Grannies Best) gone things are so much calmer out there. Its not so stressful to go out there now. Sasha and Dollie are two that have iffy futures though. Sasha is now 2 yrs old and hasn't settled yet. But she has another chance. Dollie has NOT chilled out at all!. It took us 45 minutes the other day to get her into the same pasture with everyone else!! She can barely be caught and will run us over trying to get away. It will only get worse the bigger she gets. Her parents are not like that and she was handled as a kid. We are trying but its getting ridiculous.. Candice is suppose to show her but its looking mighty iffy! If she does not calm down when she has babies she will go too.
I will not be replacing any of the does that have left. I think 10 is to many and it will take us down to 8 right now. We will be milking the 3 this year. Right now I am getting more than 3 gallons a day and they haven't hit peak yet! So I am sure we will have plenty of Milk.
I knew there would come a time when I would have to cull some of the does but didn't think it would be April for sure.. I do have her daughter Hope who has done far better than her mom. She has always popped out babies with no problem. Easy milker and big producer.
So that was the hard decision..