Monday, January 10, 2011

Natural vs. Conventional...

Vs. Homeopathic Vs. Whatever else you can come up with...

Lunar Moth that came out of its Cocoon Yesterday
 Just had to post the pic of the moth. Its big! Kara brought in the Chrysalis last fall. We never thought it would come out!! It dive bombed me and Kara yesterday. Its now here and there all over the house.. So I guess we have a pet moth!
  Okay Now for my subject.. I am all for natural ways of doing things and try to do as much as I can Naturally. However some times I have to fall back on Conventional ways. I think there are good in both.
 I have caught a lot of flack about this. All natural, totally organic people think I am not serious.. Others that use conventional meds only and eat their processed preserved white sugar and flour foods think I am some hippie child that has lost her mind! I haven't lost it I promise....Its here some where...
 About 13 years ago when the girls were little I started looking into eating healthier. We had been raised on wheat bread, raw milk when available and fresh veggies. My husband had a shock when I wouldn't buy white bread..He got over it! Well he still occasionally complains when the sandwich bread I bought has to many chunks in it.. You know things like wheat-berries?
 I try to use more honey and raw sugar but its not always economical. So I try to just moderate sugar intake. I stick with unbleached flour as a rule but use oat,rye,wheat and barley flour. Just making it from scratch is beneficial as it doesn't have preservatives in it. I try to make as much as I can I know I can do more and I am working on it. I don't buy instant rice and I only use brown rice.. However I do buy Instant mash potatoes on occasion.. I know its horrible!! But I hate peeling potatoes and they are getting so expensive..
 When cooking I use stainless steel, cast iron or glass.. I have done away with a lot of plastic and non stick pans. I also dont have a microwave and we decided we really dont miss it. Food taste better reheated in the oven.
 I am a label reading fanatic! I don't voluntarily buy things with MSG in it. I limit the salad dressings with soy bean oil because so many things have Soy in them its no longer good for you. A little bit of Soy is okay but with all the soy based products are just to much. Soy has Phytoestrogens in it and can interfere with a kids development and has caused girls as young as 3 to start showing signs of puberty. When my girls were 9 years old the doctor said this was the new 12 years old in development!! WHAT??? No way.. Thankfully that wasn't the case for my girls. But sadly I see it in a lot of their friends. Especially ones who have a White diet as in white bread, white sugar and lots of fast/convenience food. I cant help but think that along with alot of other factors the over use of soy can play a big part in the problem of early puberty in kids.
 On medicine I try to figure out a natural alternative to either add to what the doctor prescribed or some thing that will work just as well. We rarely take antibiotics so when we have to  they work better. Same with the animals if I can do without antibiotics I try too. But if its something potentially life threatening then I will go ahead and use antibiotics. I think antibiotics have their place and as long as they aren't abused they work well.
 What I have found is that Moderation is the key.. If you overindulge in ANYTHING be it good or bad you will have consequences! Our bodies were not meant to survive on one certain type of food for long periods of time. A little of this or that is what's good for you. Except for water! You need to drink a good amount of water...
 So why is my blog named All Natural Simple Life?.... Well because its what is natural and simple for us... Of course I really wonder about the simple part...Lol
 This is all based on what I have read, researched and experienced over the years. I suggest you do your own research and find what works for you!

11 comments:

Brenda said...

Very interesting. I like your advice to "research and find what works for you" Research gives a better understanding. And, if a way of life is going to be successful, it has to work for you.

By the way ... Your home made bread is delicious!

Nancy said...

I think a mixture of new and old can utilize the best benefits of both worlds.

Sticking with one way or the other just to prove a point, even if the outcome is not favorable, is not taking advantage of all the options.

MilkMaid09 said...

Ok, so I just wrote an entirely too long comment, but realize how preachy I was getting when I just wanted to make a simple point.
People have been surviving a LOT longer without the preservatives, growth hormones and antibiotics. Are these things OK? Yes, are they OK in the amounts that the typical American consumes/uses them? No. I life my life simple. I realize life isn't simple, but just being able to "be" without so much intervention gives one a greater sense of peace when it comes to dealing with life's ups and downs.
Don't worry about the criticism, we're a certified organic dairy and we can't afford to live totally organic. We can't even find many organic items in our small town. But until it becomes more economical (which it will), we do the best we can and where we can't do organic, we try to do natural.
Organic farmers aren't "hippies" we're just traditionalists. Our farm looks like any other family-farm, you won't find a zen garden and we don't wear flip-flops around the farm. We aren't new-fangled farmers, actually we farm like people did a few generations ago.

Roundabout said...

I'm a person who belives you need to be open to both. I guess its what works for the individual person as well.

goatpod2 said...

We don't use any sugar here, we only use artificial sweetners here though and we haven't eaten much wheat anything here lately though.

Amy Westbeld

Feral Female said...

Very interesting post. I think we all have to research and find what works best for us as you said.

Red Gate said...

I had to laugh when your comment about the potatoes. While I would never buy instant potatoes (BLEH!), I also hate peeling them. THen, I realized, "Why peel?" So much nutrition can be found in the peel itself. Now, I just scrub the potatoes, give them a rinse, boil them down, and the peel mashes right into little pieces along with the potatoes. Time saved, and healthy to boot!

small farm girl said...

I completely agree with what you are saying. Now to put it into practice is a little harder. Our garden didn't do anything last year so we have been forced to live out of the grocery store. I hate it! I would also like to know WHAT and HOW to cook. You need to put some recipes on here. lol

Deanna said...

My motto is everything in moderation. I used to think soy was the cure all. After I developed breast cancer, one of the biggest no, no's was soy! Go figure. All natural is always better but not always possible. So, we do what we can.

Great post.

tree ocean said...

I love my twelve grain bread. Yum, store bought, so it probably has preservatives, though.

Something in the first paragraph made me smile, thanks. Can't remember what it was, since I am in the comment box and my thyroid ate my brain.

I am one that respects your approach, which is why I am a faithful reader! I wish I lived in Missouri sometimes! Potatoes are cheap here, Maine is Potato country.

Becky said...

=) I "stole" your spring countdown ticker and put one on my blog. Super cute!
And I love this post..and the reason I love your blog so much!
Happy Wednesday! Hope it's warmer there! It's bitter cold here.