Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More DIY Recipes...


Pancake/Waffle Syrup
 Its not Maple syrup and it would replace your store bought pancake or waffle syrup. We make pancakes on a regular basis around here and we can go through a lot of syrup. At the very cheapest its $2 a 24 oz bottle. Those usually are less then tasty.. We like Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima brand syrup but is not cheap especially if you use it on a regular basis.. Of course real maple syrup would be good for you but we are talking affordable and unless you have the trees to tap yourself its not an easy thing to come across with out shelling out some $$. Last time I checked Grade B is $45 a gallon? I think it was. Little tiny bottles in the grocery store are about $8.. They dont go far in a family of 5..
 So On with the recipe.....
 Pancake Syrup
 2 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
1Tbs of Molasses-Unsulphured Blackstrap are best if you want to make it a little healthy for you.
1tsp of Vanilla
Combine Sugar,Water and Molasses. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Vanilla & Let cool.. You're done! I keep most glass bottles and you can pour it into something like that. Be careful pouring it into plastic as it will melt it if to hot. I keep it in the frig too and just warm up in hot water when you need to use it.
Kyle said it taste better than store bought! None of the kids complained about it tasting different!!! Wooo Hooo Score One For Momma!
Isn't he Cute??
 Another recipe I have is for Hot Chocolate mix.. Now I would rather make fresh Hot Chocolate with milk Cocoa and sugar but this is good for the kids to mix up quick in the morning or after doing chores. Its cheaper in total cost than the individual packages of Hot Chocolate.
 Hot Chocolate Mix
2 cups Powdered Milk
2 cups Powdered Coffee Creamer
2 cups Sugar-white or raw
1 cup of Cocoa-Dutch and Dark Cocoa are good in it
 Mix all ingredient well and store in a container. I use a Half Gallon Glass jar.
To prepare mix 3-4 TBS per regular mug into hot water. The dark Chocolate got Rave Reviews around here! I hope this may be something some one can use. I have other things I do that I will post eventually.
  We are having seriously cold weather right now. Even though we got little snow(less than 2 inches) the windchill is -9. My goat water tubs have less than an inch of ice on top that can easily be broken where the Chickens and Rabbits buckets and dishes are freezing solid. So they are working the way I expected them too. In Moderate cold weather higher 20's to 30's They are staying thawed out. Colder than 20* they get a thin layer of ice that is easily broken and added to daily.. Last year they were freezing solid and I was running out of buckets to put water in and haul from the house.

Praying Mantis Egg pod....
Girls found it the other day..
I am afraid since they brought it in they may hatch...


Bellying up to the Food trough!lol
There were 5 other feed pans and they all had to eat out of these 2..
Only ONE goat is pregnant in this pic
  Its suppose to be back up to 42* Saturday. It will mean cleaning out the barn. Oh and that reminds me I found a source of FREE sawdust for bedding! I was sooo thrilled! I knew I would find it if I kept looking!
 Have a good day and Stay warm if you are in the cold weather. If You aren't in the cold I am jealous just so ya know...

13 comments:

the Goodwife said...

I've made syrup that way as well. You can add in a little maple flavoring if you want. We don't use much syrup. The Youngun likes pancakes but she only eats them with homemade strawberry syrup. I have a hot chocolate recipe that is similar to yours, but it uses nestle quik. I like that yours doesn't have that in it. I'll have to try it!

Stay warm and I'm glad you're heaters are working. I don't know what I'd do without my heated buckets!

:0)

small farm girl said...

Love the recipes!!!!! Keep them coming please!!

Blondee said...

We go through a lot of syrup as well. Thankfully we have a Mennonite market that sells it by the gallon for 5$. Tastes like Aunt Jemima brand without the price. I'll jot down that recipe though...a little variety is always nice!

Verde Farm said...

Great recipes--always love to hot chocolate recipes. Our gang always wants to eat out of the other’s pan--so they all end up eating out of one vs. going to different pans and getting more to eat :) LOL Stay warm.

Brenda said...

Your hot cocoa recipe sounds good. I'll bet it is good on chilly mornings.

You may have little praying mantis babies hatching out in the warmth of your house.

Linda said...

What a great post!

Tonia, I loved your spring banner so I got one too! Thank you!

Roundabout said...

I'm going to try out that syrup recipe! Thanks!

Nancy said...

Love the syrup recipe. I know why maple syrup is so expensive, but it is soooo good, isn't it?

I'm going to save your recipe to make after our syrup runs out -- the hubby loves homemade pancakes on Sundays.

And yay for free sawdust! That's awesome. :)

MilkMaid09 said...

We tap trees every year and the grandparents down the road boil it down for Maple Syrup, but when our stash runs out, we make syrup from brown sugar. The Husband has a fit if I have store-bought syrup in the house. He won't even use syrup at restaurants or hotels unless it's Maple. He's so spoiled. . .

Shanster said...

You are always so creative with your recipies.

I'm not as natural as you are, but I like having the information should I want to move more in that direction! grin.

Deanna said...

A neighbor friend actually taps his own trees for molasses. He does it for a hobby, but has shared with us and it is sooooo good! I didn't think it was possible to do in this area of the country. Just shows you what I know.

We are not big pancake eaters around here - although I did make a batch for my granddaughter this morning!

Stay safe and warm!

matty said...

Great recipes! Yummers!

goatpod2 said...

Good recipes but we don't use regular sugar here though but good info though.

Amy W.