Sunday, January 16, 2011

Make Hay While The Sun Shines...

 Ooooorrr Clean Chicken houses, Sanitize and Move rabbit cages and hang the new Mineral feeder....
 Its a strange new thing...
Everyone had to check it out...

April approved and says Thank You Brenda!
Now maybe they wont knock it around and waste it..

I reworked nest boxes Again!!
They are sturdier and up off the ground..
I will probably have to add some sort of "roof" 
as they really like it covered.
This hen watched us and inspected...

Then promptly laid an egg!
 It was all of 43* today and Beautiful Sunshine!!.. I even had to lose my hoodie for a little while as I got to hot. We got the rabbit cages all sanitized and moved. I put the big hutch along the back of the chicken house and the smaller one on the east side. They will get more shade and protection now. Kara has had 2 Holland Lop does given to her. We are getting one tomorrow and the other as soon as we get the last cage needed.. They wont replace Rosie but it will keep her busy and give her something to focus on besides an empty cage..
  Now for a simple DIYer recipe...
 Brown Sugar....
 2-3 cups of Regular white sugar
1-2 Tbs of Molasses..
 Combine in a food processor mix till well blended.. Add a little more or less Molasses depending on how dark you want it.. I never buy store bought brown sugar any more..
Thats All Folks!

17 comments:

Barbara said...

Thanks for sharing the brown sugar recipe. Will give it a try. Hmmmmm, I need a mineral feeder.

Nancy said...

Thank you for the brown sugar recipe! I'm always out it seems and this will save my bacon!

So glad Sara has some new bunnies. I agree it won't replace her dear friend, Rosie, but life goes on, doesn't it?

Have a great Sunday, my friend! :)

Nancy said...

OOps! I meant Kara! It's early yet, and my brain is still warming up!

goatpod2 said...

Nice pictures! It was only 34 degrees here yesterday but the sun didn't shine much though.

Blessings,

Amy W.

matty said...

What a great idea for the brown sugar! I have fun out and not known what to do!

I love the nesting boxes. How about hanging a 'curtain' instead of a roof? Would that work?? Our girls like the privacy, too. Silly things!

Stone Cottage Mama said...

What kind of hen is that? We have one and I can't figure out if she is our cuckoo maran or black speckled sussex.

We're thinking of getting a dairy goat this year. I haven't done any research as we never would have considered it before with Bo's long working hours. But now that he is home, we are thinking we want to do this. Any advice? We'd like one that will do well with cows and horses.

Christine said...

Well, I guess her egg laying is the best seal of approval you can get! Still freezing our buns off here in Indiana.

tree ocean said...

great pix we love the one of April! and the kitten checking out the nest boxes, too, lol.

It sounds as if you agree I could drive w/o the ps but I have to admit I am a little nervous after K's crash!! very nervous!

I did see the thyroid doc and I am on propanalol for the heart symptoms and methimazole 40mg daily to calm the thyroid. I have to go for bloodwork locally this week. My PA had said there were no meds to calm the thyroid and just let me suffer for 2-1/2 months! The med is a temporary fix and I have radioactive iodine to look forward to. That will kill part of the thyroid and then thyroxine daily for life. Still beats feeling awful! I have to admit this week's stress hasn't helped any!

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

Looks like you could done this day. I love days like that.

Kelly

the Goodwife said...

Congrats on getting so much accomplished, it's a great feeling! Also glad for Kara that she's getting a couple more does.

Gail said...

Now, that's a good day's work!

Brenda said...

The mineral feeder looks great in your barn! I'm glad your girls approve. :D

I'm glad Kara will have bunnies again. You'll have to post photos of them when they arrive.

Deanna said...

I never thought of making brown sugar before! Thanks so much for the recipe.

You seem to have gotten a lot done yesterday. I thought it was still mighty cold, even though the temperatures rose, the wind was blowing on the Ozark bluffs and bridges where we were hanging out.

Carol said...

My my, what a busy little bee you've been! I need to force myself out of this funk and get some major chores done around here too.

Faye Henry said...

THANKS FOR THE RECIPES YOU HAVE BEEN POSTING.. I LOVE THEM..
YOU SURE ARE A BUSY GIRL..
TAKE CARE...

Julze said...

April looks like she is thorougky enjoying it!

Have a great day :-)
Julia

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

You are a busy woman! Thanks for sharing the recipe for the brown sugar. I will have to try it out. Have a good day!