Thursday, December 23, 2010

Update on Ethel and More...

 Ethel seems to be doing well. I do believe she has passed everything BUT I didn't see it. However she is a serious cleaner when it comes to babies and after birth. I have only caught it one time before she got to it. I have been there for all of her kidding but one. She cleans the babies, the afterbirth disappears, she cleans us the cats and even eyeballed to loose roo in the barn.. She is a tad OCD! Anyway she has also been a pin cushion the last few days and was getting tired of her pen. We were able to switch sides and enlarge her pen a little but I still want her separate because I am still drenching her with the herb tea and giving her the loaded oatmeal(in the morning). She is back to eating hay and a little grain But I am concerned because she is not drinking much.. However I have been drenching her with the tea so that gives her some fluids.
 I have also been giving her Probiotics to counter the effects of the antibiotics on her rumen. A rumen shutting down on a goat can be fatal in no time at all.. Thankfully she has not had that happen. I think once she gets over this she will be back to normal. I will give her plenty of time to recover before breeding again.. I know she is feeling better as she is trying to avoid us when we come in with meds!Lol She runs to the far corner and hides her face. She takes the tea drench easily but doesn't appreciate the Echinacea/Goldenseal tincture.
 So that's the update on Ethel so far so good...
 Today I got to go on a short road trip with a sweet friend, my 3 girls, a puppy and 2 goats!! I helped out Brenda and a new goatie friend hauling goats in my van since they are pregnant and its to cold to haul them in the back of a truck. I got to visit with Brenda and we delivered a puppy for her momma. Cutest little Chihuahua puppy.. Almost convinced me to get a 3rd house dog..  I mean how much cuter can you get than this!! Tink and Belle would be extremely jealous... The girls enjoyed playing with her waiting on me and Brenda to finish up with the goats.
And yes I know puppies grow up!... But if they are little dogs the cuteness stays around for a while. Then you are attached to them...
 I have a question for every one.. I am a coffee drinker but have recently quit a daily cup because it was hurting me. I have drank hot tea and I like it. But I was wondering what some of your favorites are.. Just for some ideals. I like herbals Dandelion being my favorite single herb tea. A friend shared some Rooiboos(sp??) tea with me this summer and I like it hot or cold.  Peppermint is good too. I recently tried Chai something or the other... I didn't realize it was caffeinated and I was up till 2 am... I know which tea to be drinking come kidding time!
 Okay time to decorate cookies.. Yes I realize its late... Maybe I should drink some of that tea now...
 Last but not least I want to tell everyone MERRY CHRISTMAS!! I hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy your time with family and friends.. I hope everyone slows down enough to appreciate what they have and are not longing for what they don't have. That you all realize its the little things that make life sweet not the big things..


15 comments:

Verde Farm said...

Glad to hear things are going well with Ethel. That is good news. I love different English blends of hot tea. I also like chamomile--to relax. Green tea is also a favorite :)
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Love the Chihuahua

Brenda said...

I had a wonderful day with you all today! I just wanted to let you know that the lady named the puppy "My Christmas Present" on her official registration papers and will be calling her Chrissy.

I love that photo of her!

Rural Rambler said...

Cute Puppy! So glad to hear Ethel is perking up!

Merry Christmas Tonia to you all!

Julze said...

Good news about Ethel. Merry Christmas to you and your family...I hope you have a wonderful day!

Laura said...

What a cute puppy. Sounds like such a nice day, you and Brenda are so lucky to have each other as friends. Merry Christmas to you and you beautiful family.

WeldrBrat said...

Good to hear Ethel is doing well. Thankfully - she's in the best of hands for helping her get through this rough one.

Wishing you and yours the most happiest of joy and peace in your hearts as we all celebrate the birth of Jesus!

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

Thanks for the update on Ethel! cute puppy pic!

I like green tea with mint but green tea is not caffeine free. I make my own mint teas with leaves from the garden. I grow regular mint and lemon mint.

Nancy said...

So glad Ethel is doing better. I appreciate the updates as she has been in my thoughts.

Not a tea drinker -- I down quite a bit of coffee in the morning and sometimes it doesn't agree with me. I'll give it up, someday. :)

My sister had a chihuahua named "Tater Tot" and it was the cutest little dog ever.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas. :)

goatgirl said...

Merry Christmas Tonia! I say get another puppy.....if it is a Chihuahua. My son got me a Chi puppy for Christmas....little Bijou will be delivered just after the new year.
Glad Ethel is doing better. BTW just got back the copper and selenium report on my goats. Their levels are within the normal range...go figure...I thought they'd be low for sure.
What would be good herbs to give them to bolster their immune systems so they can fight the respiratory bug?
Hope you and your family have a happy holiday.

Carol............. said...

You realize, off course, that she will never give up designer glasses!

Merry Christmas

OurCrazyFarm said...

Merry Christmas Tonia!

the Goodwife said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours! I love herbal tea and will drink just about any of it. I too enjoy rooibos tea, and there is a bigelow tea called constant comment that I enjoy.

goatmilker said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope you had a great day. Rebekah

small farm girl said...

I'm so glad Ethel is doing alright. Tea, I like good ole fashion, decaffinated Earl Grey. Yummmmm.

Merry Christmas to you too!!!!

Deanna said...

I'm glad to hear Ethel is doing good.

Hopefully you got those cookies decorated. I still drink a lot of coffee, but also enjoy tea. One of my favorites comes from Torolla, British Virgin Isles. We happened onto it while cruising. Unfortunately, I think it is caffeinated. The website is www.sunnycaribee.com. I can't remember right now which tea it is, but I believe it had mango in it.

Hope you and yours had a wonderfully blessed Christmas!