Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Insulated Water Tubs???


The Ice out of the main water tub...
It had maybe a 4inch space in the bottom half that was liquid.
There was no way except a de-icer to keep it thawed out.
But I have yet to put out the Money(Hey I am Frugal...) for it
and then they usually run up the Electric bill.


This was the wether's water tub.
It was almost solid..
Moses and Jack's water was almost solid too..


Emptied out! And ready to be Insulated...

Stuffed full of old bedding and hay...

Place smaller tub inside it making sure its level..
Then pack more hay around the outside.
Pushing down till you can't push in anymore...
Mine is Fairly level!...lol
 I pushed down on the tub to settle the stuff underneath.
It will compost and create heat. 

Ethel Approved!
Even if it freezes some on the top
 but can easily be broke would be a Vast improvement!
I also put them in a more sheltered place out of most of the wind
and where they would get more sun IF it comes out!

Thisis Moses and Jacks made with a 5 gallon bucket.
 I had another tub in the background that I used for the wethers.
I forgot to take a picture when it was done.
I have used hay before to insulated Water tubs
but I could never get them high enough off the ground to keep the Poo out of them...
 Maybe Just Maybe this will work.. I will let you all know! 

This is the Dam at our local small lake...
It has about 2-4 inches of ice covering it.
Of course we had to go see it!Lol
Its really beautiful.....

The little lions are getting Really brave!lol
They spend most of their time between the Goats and Chickens..
 Thats it for tonight I am going to work On Christmas Presents for a little bit!! Good Night!

9 comments:

Brenda said...

I like the insulated water tub idea. I'm excited to see how it works out for you.

Verde Farm said...

Tonia, this is brilliant. We have been taking out new water all day over and over because it freezes so fast. This is definitely worth a try. That little kitty is precious!

Deanna said...

The lions cracked me up. Your insulation idea is really good. I am amazed at how ingenious you are.

The weather has been much colder than I like. Good thing you got te feeders insulated before this ice hit! Love the waterfall picture.

the Goodwife said...

Very curious to see how this works out! Girl you are a clever, clever lady!

Feral Female said...

Oh yes, this looks very familiar. We blanket our goat waterers with hay to help insulate them. I`ve thought about the water heaters for the goat barn but I`m leery about fire hazards so.....

Nancy said...

We use two de-icers, one for the outside dogs and one for the birds *hangs head in shame*. I will be trying your method for a couple of water areas that don't have heaters. I don't see why it won't work. Thank you girl friend!

Shanster said...

Can you send the lion to Colorado?

Nicole said...

Keeping water unfrozen is one of the most difficult things to do in the winter! I hate it... and I don't hate much... LOL

The Last Frontier said...

Hi! Glad you found my blog, and thank you for following it. I'm looking forward to visiting here and reading more of your posts.
A great idea for helping to keep the water buckets from freezing. How cold do your winters get? Might even help us up here in Alaska. Can't hurt! :)