Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Fun!

Some of the cookies we decorated...
 Also made truffles..

The tree at about 1am Christmas Morning

6 hours later....
They did chores in record time!Lol

Blueberry and Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast...
 We had a good Christmas! The girls all liked their presents really well. We had Christmas with Kyle's side of the family today... We got a GPS (oh yeah..Lol) I had an Overwhelming urge to turn left just because it said right! Even though it was correct! It even followed the right short cut home after it tried to turn us around Lol.. Kind of cool...  My MIL also came across a bunch of Mother Earth Magazines from this last year! She saved them for me... Wooohooo I will get all sorts of ideas from them I am sure..
 ***Update on Ethel.. She scared us this morning.. She had serious diarrhea.. My first thought was Cocci with all the stress on her body right now. So we Gave her a mixture of 2 T of Slippery elm,1T of Cayenne mixed in enough water to be able to drench her with it. Plus her herbal tea. Then I did a fecal.. Very Few Cocci and few parasite eggs too. I was sure I was going to have to worm her but so far I don't think I will.
 We gave her another dose of the Slippery Elm/Cayenne plus her tea when we got home earlier. She had formed poos no Diarrhea. I also mixed a tablespoon of jello in a half of gallon of water to try and get her to drink more. She took one very long drink of it.
 One of the things when any animal or human for that matter get this sick is not dehydrating. It hurts things worse than no food. So I try to do what I can to get her to drink as much as possible.  She was acting better earlier and was eating. She is getting almost no grain right now because it could do more harm than good. She gets all the hay she wants and warm oatmeal even though she hasn't been eating it. I have also been feeding her a handful of Red Raspberry leaves morning and night. 
 Tomorrow we will clean her up real good and clean out her stall. Let her out for a while with us right there so no one in the herd decides to beat up on her. Let her get a little exercise and hopefully sunshine.. Ethel is my oldest daughter, Candice's goat. She has been doing alot of the drenching and other care for her. Candice is doing really well too. I think Ethel is going to be okay but its still a long haul till she is completely well.
 Well this momma is wiped out so I think its time to kick back for a little bit. I hope everyone enjoys their last week of 2010!

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds like a wonderful family Christmas. Those cookies are so pretty and so good and the truffles are sinfully delicious!

I have to chuckle when I think of a GPS giving you driving directions! :D

goatmilker said...

The cookies look beautiful. So glad you had a good Christmas. Rebekah

Gail said...

What a wonderful Christmas.

I do hope Ethel continues to improve.

We had our first calf of the new calving season yesterday...hope the cold weather does not effect it. It was a heifer...yippeee!

tree ocean said...

Ur tree and girls are so beautiful! Is that a new sled in the background!The cookies and pancakes look so yummy! I hope Ethel is better!

does the raspberry makes her loose? can't recall, thought it might have mild laxative properties?

Feral Female said...

Ooo those cookies look divine! Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday!

matty said...

What a wonderful Christmas! I hope Ethel recovers quickly! I will be remembering her and her family as she gains her strength!

Missed you!

Matty

Nancy said...

Poor Ethel! She must feel like a lot of folk do this winter... lots of bad germs going around.

Your cookies look so delicious -- I sent all of the candy back with my husband to Vermillion, hoping he and the crew would eat them all up. :)

the Goodwife said...

Glad you had a nice Christmas. Hope Ethel is doing ok today and continues to improve!

Verde Farm said...

Sounds like a great Christmas. I’m sorry Ethel isn’t 100% yet but boy you all are so good. I just love to hear about the warm oatmeal and special tea you are using. You so knowledgable and I wish I had a 1/5 of that knowledge but I guess we are learning more and more everyday. Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

small farm girl said...

Sounds like you all had a good Christmas! Too bad for Ethel. I hope she comes out of it.