Monday, December 13, 2010

Chickie Treats!/Wild Bird Feed

Ahhh my infernal DIYer attitude!Lol
 I wont pay a $1 for a small square of bird Suet blocks Any more!
 To give my chickens a treat in this serious cold I made some for them too..
 Start with Lard and Peanut Butter(Crunchy or Creamy)
 I used 2 lbs of each melting it slowly..
Oooooo so slowly.....

Till it looked like this....
very low heat as you don't want to fry the Peanut Butter in the Lard.

I had 3 pans full...
One is  a Half sheet cake pan size(for the main chicken pen)...

The empty Lard Bucket(for the Birds)...

And a small round pan(for banty chickens)...

I mixed it in the pans.
 Adding the Lard/P-nut Butter a half a cup at a time.
 I mixed a gallon sized container(about 5 pounds) of
Poultry Grains,Black Oil Sunflower Seeds,Corn Chops and Whole Oats
Which is my normal chicken feed.
 I layered is with Chopped apples that had gotten soft.
A couple of Hand fulls of Flax seeds..
About 4 cups of Cornmeal..
Mixed it all together....

The wild birds haven't quite figured it out.
The chickens dug in right away.

Now to remember to save the last of my plastic
 that held these to use for future molds!
 This little bird didn't even flinch when I started taking his picture.
 If you search online and put in bird feed recipes or Suet recipes you will get all sorts of things.The only thing I will add next time is Cayenne pepper but I had misplaced mine when I was making this and didn't find it till it was already outside.
The most expensive thing is the Lard and peanut butter if you don't buy it from a discount grocery store. I bought a 4lb container of crunchy peanut butter for a couple of dollars.. I am thinking about making it up in some kind of container to be hung out and putting it in some of the Christmas gifts.. Just hope I remember to wrap it in plastic before putting it in the gift so it wont be greasy...
  You can also add dried fruits, other seeds and some herbs(for chickens). This opens up a whole new chicken food avenue!!lol

12 comments:

tree ocean said...

oh my I am suddenly hungry!!! LOL! Looks so good! gifts or sale sound good looks very good!

about the time I started feeding the wild birds and letting my flock free range, and oh don't they love to scrounge under the black oil feeder...I lost two hens, and wondered if it was something the wild birds brought? but, the rest of the flock looks good and I am still feeding the wild...

I finally bought a hunk of suet and threw it in an old onion bag on the line for the birds. saw a female hairy woodpecker and chickadee on it today..

Flat Creek Farm said...

You read my mind! I saw the suet block in the bird feed barrel the other day and thought.. "hmmm... would my chickies like this?!" Great idea to make your own. I did that last winter for the birds. Looks yummy! :) -Tammy

Brenda said...

What a wonderful idea. How long does it take the chickens to devour it? Do they savor it or eat it quickly until it's all gone?

I have several small tubs of lard in the freezer from rendering the fat of the last hog we put into the freezer. I think I'll get one out and fix some of this for my chickens. I'll bet it really helps them through this cold weather.

Nancy said...

Oh my, I am betting your chickens and all of the neighborhood birdies love you! They need so much extra protein and energy this time of year. Your homemade suet cakes are just what they need right now -- it's so cold! :)

the Goodwife said...

You have some lucky chickens girl! ;)

small farm girl said...

Great idea!!!!

~Tonia said...

The big chickens went through the pan pretty quick (2 days)but with 27 of them they go through most feed quick.
The Banty chickens still have quite a bit left but there is only 5 of them.

The Farmer's Daughter said...

Pretty good eating for the chicks! I need to buy some suet for my birds. Just bought a 50 lb. bag of cracked corn that I scatter for them and fill a feeder or two. They love it. ~Cheryl

Heidi... said...

Thanks for this recipe and the instructions to go along with it! I've been thinking about trying this.

I so appreciate your kind words of encouragement today! ; )

~Tonia said...

If I would quit ripping into the side of my onion bags they would make excellent bird feeders!.. But I always forget....
My chickens have always scratched around the wild bird feeders and ate out of it and never had a problem..
I am thinking I may be able to get lard cheaper from a meat processor even if its not been rendered because if it had bits of meat in it that would be good for the chickens too..
My eggs had dropped down to 3 a day when this cold hit.. the next day they were back up despite it being colder.

Linda said...

Ur just strange Tonia! lol Teasing! They look and sound good...

Shanster said...

Lucky birdies!