Monday, November 8, 2010

Testing......

 That's what has been going on around here... First I ran fecals on just about every individual goat except the boys.  I lumped each pen together and took a few samples and mixed them together and then tested.. Moses and Jack I mixed and tested together also.. That cut it down to 12 fecals to run instead of 16..  Here is the link that shows how I go about running a fecal on the goats Click Here  I wandered around the goat pens till I collected 16 individual samples of Fresh goat berries!!
 My last chemical worming was on July 19th. I also gave Copper Boluses the end of September.The unbred does and boys got a dose of Cydectin Injectable last week and its working according to the fecals. A follow up will be done 10-14 days from the first dose. However the wethers who are separate showed Tapeworm eggs. I had noticed 2 of them looking slightly potbellied. Cydectin will not kill Tapes. I don't have anything Chemical on hand right now for it. It will have to wait till I can get to town. Its not life and death and will be okay for a day or 2.
  Copper is suppose to help with stomach worms especially. I didn't have anything real serious on the other slides except pin worms or Thread worm eggs and very few Barber pole eggs. But there was a bunch on certain goats. The ones who had been wormed had under 20 eggs some only 4-5.. I had 3 that had an egg count over 50 but they had not been wormed yet and 2 of them are my hard keepers. 2 who hadn't been wormed only had about 25 still needing wormed but not out of control..
  So this is what I have done so far..  All the pregnant does got a shot of Normectin(Ivomec Knock off) at the rate of 1cc per 50lbs... Then I give everyone a drench of 1 tablespoon of Black Walnut hulls and leaf power in a little molasses and water. They loved that!(Being VERY Sarcastic) Then I added tea to their water which consist of Molasses, 1/2 cup of Fennel,1 cup each of Dandelion and Comfrey to 2 gallons of water. Then I added that to their water tub which is about 50 gallons.. They like it! In the wethers who showed tapes I added the black walnut to their water too. They are drinking it right up which I was surprised..  There will be a second dose of Cydectin and Normectin in 10-14 days from the 1t and then 10-14 days after that I will do another fecal to see how things look.
 Now on to the other test...... My soil test came back today! Yeah... Now I just have to figure out what this means to me... I don't know if its possible to read it from the picture..
 But Phosphorus and Potassium were in excess. Magnesium was the only thing sort of low.. It was on the low side of high... Iron, Copper and Sulfur were all high and this could be why I am dealing with a copper deficiency as Iron and Sulfur bind Copper and make it to where the goats cant use it... No need for any time of fertilizing which I wasn't going to use chemicals anyway. Till we moved here last year only a few cows had grazed some of it occasionally. Soils, Plant Nutrition and Nutrient Management  This link helped explain it a little more.. 
 My plans to begin with I was going to plant some sericea lespedza(sp?) out there along with red clover but other than that I like what was growing which was a massive tangle of weeds grass and small trees. But of course the goats cleared off alot.. But I hope with putting in the rotational grazing it will encourage some of that to come back.. I am also going to continue with a mineral high in copper for the goats along with a 12.5g bolus of Copper Oxide needles every 4-6 months for them.. Despite the rock under and in our dirt its not to bad here! That was worth the $20 to me...
 One more thing.. I was reading a friend's blog today and I have to share the link.. The Human Shield

8 comments:

tree ocean said...

you do an amazing job with your goats! And congrats on the soil test! I think the loose goat minerals might have the copper you are looking for?

~Tonia said...

Thank you Tree! I guess I forgot to say that I do have a loose mineral out that my goats get that have a fairly high copper content at around 1350 ppm. I would prefer 1850ppm of copper but havent found one they will eat yet. So I am going to leave it with this one and the Boluses..

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Hi Tonia
Way to much gravel for my liking. We have shale and clay, another set of problems to deal with. I can't find your posts on any veggie gardening but with goats it must be harder. Daisy(goat) has taken a liking to fava (broadbeans) beans plant I hung up by the roots to dry out, it very crunchy and she just loves it. Is there any harm in her eating that.

~Tonia said...

I do have gardens even though since we just moved here a little over a year ago I am just getting them started. My goats stay in their fence so its not hard the chickens tend to reek more havoc though!Lol I actually had Monster tomato and squash plants this year. They produced really well too. I was amazed at them!Lol
The dried bean plants would be excellent for goats. They have alot of protein. Its like anything new, moderation is the key. So they dont bloat on it.

Shanster said...

Ow - all that rock! Glad you got your results and now you have a plan...

Nancy said...

You really know your goats, missie! I had no idea there was so much to learn about them. Makes my head swim.

We got a soil and water test a few years ago when we moved here. Lots of different soil types and the water is rich in calcium -- that's all I can remember right now.

Great job!

Deanna said...

The Ozarks and rock go hand in hand. We are digging fence holes right now and let me tell you, it is slow going.

Way to go on all of your testing!

Mrs. Mike said...

Fhew! A big job DONE!
Hard work but doesn't it feel good to have that information in your hot little hand just waiting to be fixed (spoken by a notorious 'problem-solver')!