After I posted about Linda's Ribbon Hairsticks here. I had a few questions asked of me about our hair and how we take care of it. We have a little bit of hair around here.. About 12 feet in all between the 4 of us give or take a few inches!Lol
One of the question I get asked most is how do I keep from getting split ends?....Well there are several tricks to this..
1. I don't trim at all. Nothing.Nada, not a 1/4 inch not 2-3 inches. Nothing.
I do have personal beliefs for this part that are between me and God and can be found in the Bible.
But trimming is a big myth cure for no split ends. It can actually cause more as you trim up to a weaker part of the hair strand. But this is not a common fact for obvious reasons as its big money business...Hair that is!
Many people argue with me but I have very easily damaged hair that hasn't had a split end in 10 years since my last perm(that's something I will get to also). Patience is a Definite virtue when it comes to hair!
2. I rarely use hairspray. Maybe once a week. It was hard to get to that point!Hey I was a teenager in the 80"s ! We had Monstrously Big hair or was it just a monstrosity?!! lol
3. I rarely use Curling irons, Flat irons or hairdryers. Its drys out your hair with the heat and is really tough.. Now I am not saying Never please note that!! Just very limited use. This may be different if I worked outside the home and had to get dressed for work everyday.
4. I would like a more natural shampoo and conditioner but haven't found anything yet that wasn't to heavy for my hair. So till then Herbal Essences is the fave around here but we do switch it out occasionally. I stick with cheaper brands I have spent up $50 at a time on shampoo and conditioner(long long time ago in a galaxy far far away!). It was a Very SERIOUS waste of Money and I wont do that ever again!
5. I use Apple cider Vinegar as a rinse about once a month. 1-2 cups of ACV in a quart of warm water. Then I try to do a warm olive oil treatment about once a month in the winter not as much in the summer. Then if I am at home I will use Jojoba oil on the ends and wrap it up in my hair. I have shown how I do the wrapping up below with Hopefully fairly understandable instructions.. This is the way I wear my hair at home working around the farm and house.
6. I don't perm or color my hair.. Now a LOT of people do.. That's fine if they want too. But I would look like a fried hair freak if I did either on a regular basis(Been There & Done That). A little Sun-In as a teenager since my hair naturally tends to get blond streaks people didnt even notice when I stopped. Several bad home perms especially as a teenager.. 9th grade perm memories make me shudder!
About 10 years ago I decided to break an 8 year streak of nothing chemical done to my hair and I got a perm. The hair dresser went on and on about how I had No split ends. She was very easy with my hair and was slightly nervous about it!Lol She did a great job with it but... My hair being what it is slightly fine thicker and hard to work with because it likes to slide out of everything let the perm slide out with in 3 months.. I went and got another perm different hairdresser Still no split ends.. But this perm went to tight and was nothing short of the long haired poodle look(ICK) No offence to the poodles. Soooo I waited a month and got Another perm to relax it.. It started doing some serious damage. I pledged to never get another perm Ever! I haven't had one either. I have decided to be happy with what God gave me as I could be bald instead. I have a big head it WOULD NOT be pretty!Lol
7. I use Scrunchies like the one pictured below all the time I have all sorts of colors. It covers the hair band which can be rough on your hair. If you use Bobby pins make sure they have the little tips on them as they will scrap your scalp and pull out your hair. I use the no metal hairbands and things like Linda's Hairsticks
A little bit goes a Loooong way with this.. Just use your finger tips to slick down your ends or damaged hair then put it up for the day. Remember Patience And Consistency when it comes to your hair healing itself....
This is what we call a Nana Knot!lol
My girls started calling it that when they were little..
1. Pull it back like a pony tail and twist scrunchies to one side.
2 Start wrapping your length of hair around the scrunchies.
It will look like the start of a bun..
3. After wrapping entire length around
take the loop of the scrunchies and tuck it underneath the "bun".
That's it.. Quick and Easy protected hair!
I also use a scrunchie to wrap
the end of my braid when I braid my hair..
Human Hair will completely replace its self in the space of about 3 years. All hair is dead once it leaves the scalp. It may take Serious patience on a persons part to completely grow out your hair the way you want it. But it will definitely be healthier for having the patience and consistency..
Another thing that affects your hair is Diet and Hormones!! My girls who struggle with thyroid problems will occasionally go through periods where it breaks off easily. So I will have them take a hair,skin and nail supplement. You can find several good ones at your local health food stores. But eating healthy goes a long way towards healthy hair.
I have done a lot of things over the years to my hair. Its definitely been a learning process!lol i have done the Mayo trick, slept in curlers night after night hoping to get some real curl... Don't even ask about the perm I got in 9th grade OR the eggs!!! Eeewww that was horrible!Lol
The Bible says If a woman hath long hair it is her glory and I intend to take care of it. It talks about it in 1Corinthians 11 if you would like to read it..
And if you don't agree with my beliefs that's fine. Just don't be judgemental of mine... I am not judgemental of anyone who doesn't do the same as I do.. Its all between you and God, not You, Me and God.
I hope everyone has an awsome Sunday!