Sunday, November 28, 2010

Backroads..............

Kyle and I took a lot of back roads this weekend..
So I thought I would share the pictures. We both love old houses and barns.
He is so sweet to stop when I want to take a picture even if he does just about through me
in the floor when he stops!Lol

Old Iron Bridge

Some one at one time upgraded with brick. Mortar is long gone.
I wonder how long it will stand like this..


One of MANY old barns we saw..

Another old chimney.
There was also a cellar of the same rock but I couldn't get a clear picture.


Kyle told me what this truck was but I don't remember..
At some point this was a brand new probably highly valued truck...


2 little houses next to each other..
I would think Mom and Dad lived in the smaller house and one of the kids built one close by...
There is another place that I have yet to get a picture its 3 houses like this..


This is either a school house or church and possibly both at one point in time..
It was across the road from a little church that is still in use even though its older..


Another old home place....


I love this dairy barn!!
 Its all real rock and even though the windows are broken out it could be restored...
The big barn behind it is being used..



One of the creeks with the remains of a rock wall or dam.. Not sure which..


This house was actually pretty big.
 If it had been summer you couldn't see it from the road..


This barn was huge!!!


And so was this one.. Its always sad to see them not used any more..


This house was my favorite..
I can only imagine its history...


  Leftovers have dwindled down to a Single Pumpkin pie, a loaf of pumpkin bread, rolls, enough turkey to make soup along with some gravy and corn...  We had a marvelous weekend.. Besides driving the back roads we visited a new bulk/hardware store, Rosewoods(excellent coffee) and spent a lot of time together.. We also worked around the yard some today. Fixing little things here and there. He is out stacking wood and I am getting ready to go pickup the girls... but you know I have to finish this first!Lol
 I also won a giveaway!! From Tammy over at Flat Creek Farm I was so excited! Its $50 to CSN.. I am so excited I already got my stuff picked out!Lol... Thank you Tammy!
 I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Full of good food, friends and family.. Turkey coma set in about 10 minutes after eating around here.. Everyone was laid out everywhere watching Looney Tunes.. But it was all good..
 Have a good week all!!

17 comments:

Linda said...

Jim and I LOVE back roads or seldom used roads. Your pictures are great! Thank you...

hillybilly annie said...

I just love the old barns and houses....If they could talk ....what stories they would tell

hillybilly annie said...

I just love the old barns and houses....If they could talk ....what stories they would tell

Kathleen said...

I love these pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

matty said...

Oh how I loved the photos! These are my favorite sites in the world -- old houses, barns, and such! Imagining the lives lived, the children raised, the families who loved and lived there just make me wistful! Thanks so much for sharing them!

Nancy said...

Always so interesting to go off on the roads less traveled to see structures that no longer have much life left in them. To see them in their glory days -- that would be so cool.

Thanks for sharing your travels with us. :)

Verde Farm said...

What a beautiful area you live in. It saddens me too when I see old, beautiful barns or homes that are empty and falling into disrepair. These are some wonderful buildings and so many stories to tell. Love it!
Amy

Missouri Gal Nicole said...

I love gravel roading and seeing all the cool old houses and barns. Great photos!

Julze said...

Beautiful pics Tonia!
I love love love old houses too...if only the walls could talk!

Brenda said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. The photos are great. I love the one of the old dairy. The multi-level barn is really cool.

Jody Blue said...

Old buildings are so interesting, it is sad to see them dilapidate. I think people just run out of time, energy, and money and let them go.

~Tonia said...

Sorry Deanna my page jumped when I went to approve and it deleleted your comment.. Thankfully it was still in my email so I could at least copy it..
** Deanna has left a new comment on your post "Backroads..............":

Great back roads pictures. Makes me wish we had taken the time for a drive yesterday. I, too, look at crumbling buildings telling stories.

All of the extra pies went home with the kids on Thansgiving. I have no will power against pies! Glad yours was a good one.

Rural Rambler said...

Tonia I love MissouREE's back roads too and you got some great pictures. Love all the old buildings I just hate that they are all wasting away. Congrats on your win over at Tammy's!!

the Goodwife said...

I love old houses and barns although they make me so sad. I think of all the love that was probably in them at one time and then they end up wasting away. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and a good weekend!

sufolks said...

Love traveling the backroads. I took my camera out on a backroad trip earlier this summer and did a post about it: http://windowontheprairie.com/2010/08/14/traveling-the-backroads/
Suzanne
Window On The Prairie

Shanster said...

such great pix - love all the remnants of people and times past...

Jennifer said...

Love the pictures! Especially the one with the big old barn. Very interesting.