Sunday, September 12, 2010

Its Tough....


Being the new kid...
 She looks a little sad. Its always hard introducing a  new goat into the herd as they have a definite order of things. And when its a little one you worry about them. I let her out of her little pen for a while yesterday while I was outside doing a few things. Then I had to run into the house for a few minutes.... Apparently that is when chaos broke out.. I found her hiding behind a tree with a cut under her eye and a small tear in her ear that fortunately didn't go all the way through.. I think what happened is that everyone is grumpy due to all the does coming in heat.. They decided to take their grumpiness out on her. They run her into the fence where she hit barbed wire(not my choice or recommendation of fencing for goats) and electric fence. She was shaking, scared and hard to catch. Mariah wasn't helping matters by running up and Biting her tail!! So I got her and put her back in the pen... She hollered and then was quiet... I didn't think nothing else about it. Until I got out there to milk this morning..
 She was standing shivering behind the same tree! Ummm I Know I put her in the pen.. So apparently she jumped out. Then I noticed she was limping! AGH! So Kyle and I catch her and wrap her up in a blanket. I checked her leg out. I don't think its broken just bruised really bad..  She is definitely traumatized now.. I have put her up a temporary pen that is bigger and hopefully she wont try jumping out of this on. Its a little taller.
 As soon is the wether is gone I have another bigger pen to put her in along with Kate and Pixy. Hopefully they will all bond and by the time the buck leaves they will be friends and protect each other..
 Anyway she is a litttle depressed/stressed so I wormed her, gave her some nutridrench and Probios.. I think she will pull out of this and is just stressed from the change.. Goats don't like change!

Speaking of change.....
   This is Lucian a reg. purebred Nubian.  He will hopefully be coming to visit the goat girls by the end of the week! I was going to use Moses this year but decided to let him grow for another year before turning him out with the girls.  Lucian is my friend's buck and he is a sweetheart. Except he is definitely in rut!LOL He is talking and putting on lots of smell good! So tomorrow everyone will be getting their BoSe shots tomorrow in anticipation of the buck coming the end of this week. I also have to work on hooves.. I think I just did that...

  Ms Ethel checking out the stand my friend gave me.. I will be using it for worming, hoof trimming and shots. Its to low for hand milking for us. But it will be very handy as it has sides that you can move out of the way or put back as needed..
 I was also worried about Ethel because Dottie was her momma. They stuck together all the time. After Dottie died she went off by herself and didn't run up for grain like she usually does.. But I think she is coming out of it now. No one can tell me animals don't have their own way of "mourning" Especially herd animals.  We have been keeping an eye on her and she is acting better. She is back to pushing in for her grain.


  The diversity of eggs we are getting! I have all sorts of sizes and colors. We are back up to 7-9 a day. Most of my Ameraucanas are not laying. They are molting and have pale combs. So hopefully they will get it done and over with soon.. They usually lay pretty much all winter so I won't complain.
 Well I have to get off of here and get ready for the week.. I hope everyone has a great week!

9 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm sorry that Dollie is having a tough time getting into the social order of the herd. It's hard for any new goat, but especially for a little one. I think my new doe is finally finding her place in the group. I think it's a good idea to put Dollie in with the young does for a while so she can get accepted by those her own age and then the older ones should accept her better after their bred.

small farm girl said...

Poor little baby! Hopefully everything works out for her in the future. It's not nice being picked on by the mean girls. lol

Kelle said...

Wow! I guess since I know nothing about goats, I didn't figure they's be so territorial or have a pecking order.

Don't you just hate to see an animals unhappy, it breaks my heart, even if it is for their own good.
Praying she gets over the stress and soon will make a buddy or two*wink*
We were glad that " Button", our Dexter heifer took to the bottle calf, because now that the hard descisions have been made and " Addy" is soon to be in the freezer that gives "Button" a buddy, afterall they are a herd animal.

*giggle*, Your eggs look very similar to ours, we're just now getting pullet eggs, our regular eggs and adding in turkey eggs as well.
Blessings for your week,
Kelle

Nancy said...

Oh, how I feel your pain. We have a goose that thinks it is a chicken -- because it was raised with them this spring (orphan.) But he/she feels the pangs when he/she sees or hears the mature geese honking -- but I don't want her to be shunned or bullied, so I have kept her in the coop with the chickens for now. We are such mommies when it comes to our critter kids -- I hope your little goat gains acceptance soon and is part of the gang, as it should be. Take care,

Linda said...

Ya poor little newbie! Ya know, my Nubian doeling is 8 months old and my ND is still trying to bully her! Now though, Rosie (the Nubian doeling) pretty much stands up to Cali (the ND). She just pushes back when Cali tries to butt her away from the feed dish. Rosie turns around and just seems to say "Oh ya, you want a piece of me?" Rosie already stands several inches higher than Cali. It will be interesting to see how it goes when Rosie is a year old and much bigger! I think we may end up having a new herd queen! LOL

tree ocean said...

It breaks your heart when they want to be with the others and then get beat on. I went through that with one of mine. I had him a week and felt so bad I went and got a buddy for him and he hated him. They still fight! LOL

When I wanted Badger I took Piper so they would be two..and Piper beats on him too. But they are pals- moreso than the others. The others still go after Badger (it's a year February) They do learn who to run from !

hopefully your goats will let her in the barn this winter!

Christine said...

Awe, poor little thing. Sheep aren't any better. Lavern and Shirley are just now being accepted into the flock. I'm glad they at least had each other. If goats do it too I'll probably always need to get animals in pairs now.

Deanna said...

She'll find her way soon. It is never easy to be a newbie - animal or human!

Hope things settle down in your piece of the earth very soon!

Deanna

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Poor baby! Just makes you want to snuggle with her doesn't it? She's so pretty and the rest are just jealous!