Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Heartbreak....

We lost Dottie today..
It was horrible.. She is one of our babies...
She was from the very first Nubian doe
that started this whole goat thing..
 We lost her due to human error...
 A very Big Human Error..

 Here is Dottie at less than a week old...
 Candice is holding her..

Here are my girls with Polly, Dottie's momma
and Dottie down to the side.

 Dottie and her twin brother..

 Dottie and her first babies.
 Lucy and Ethel, We still have Ethel..

This was Dottie's favorite place...
The feed pans! Or buckets or hay racks..
She liked her food!
 People always asked when she was going to have babies...

 When we moved here last year.
 Her and Ethel stuck together..

She was an easy keeper and was a sweetheart..

She had a funny personality too..

 But she was crazy about her food!lol
As you can see from here.
 She was watching me milk and waiting here turn..

This was just a few weeks ago..
 Dottie will be missed Very Much!!

Now the story....
  We have for the most part dairy goats here.. Some of you may remember Van(Vanilla) the wether he was going to the freezer, then not and then he was and things got pushed back and postponed.. So he had been acting a little aggressive when the babies were born this last spring.. Should have butchered him.. But didn't...
 Then things calmed down and he was behaving.. He started hooking collars on the goat girls lately but the butchering kept getting postponed for different reason Mainly the heat because who wants to butcher in the 100* heat! Then he has been getting worse.. But it was one of those things that happens to other peoples goats..
 He hooked Dottie's collar today while the girls and I were gone. Kyle heard a strange noise and looked out and saw Him slinging Dottie around.  But by the time Kyle could get out to where they were at she was already gone.. It broke Candice's heart.. It was her goat. Her Nana had given her Dottie when Dottie was a yearling. She had 4 times and given us some beautiful babies. She was a great momma and a really easy keeper.  She was a tad stubborn Especially when it came time to worm.. She could hold that stuff in her mouth for a very long time! Then aim well when I let her go usually getting me good with it!
 We didn't always see eye to eye.. She didn't want to be milked the first year and I finally gave up and let her raise her babies. The next year she milked like a dream and was one of my highest producing and easiest milkers...  She was a sweetheart and wasn't hard to handle after that first year.
  Dottie darlin you will be missed.......

22 comments:

Blossom said...

ah, so sorry to hear about your Dottie! I'm almost in tears and I didn't even know her. :(

Aunt Krissy said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I have goats and found out that you can become rather fond of them. They do worm their way into our hearts for sure.

Jennifer said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose one!

Brenda said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of Dottie. I pray that your hearts are comforted. I know you all will miss her terribly. I'm glad you have so many good memories with her.

tree ocean said...

Oh that is awful!!!!oh! darn horns!!!I almost lost a doe like that! I hope Kyle went right out and shot him! I hate mean wethers!

Anke said...

I am so sorry about Dottie. Big hugs to you and your girls.

Flat Creek Farm said...

So sorry to hear about your precious Dottie. She was a looker too! Things happen... and we're all only human. But I know that doesn't help the sadness over a beloved animal lost. Hugs to all! ♥ -Tammy

phylliso said...

How horrible,especially for your girls.May God wrap His arms around you in comfort.
We can all learn a lesson from this,I just recently took the collars off our wethers,we have 4 wethered angoras who are 4 years old now & have been doing some butting around lately.
What a loving memory she has made on all of your lives,phylliso

Deanna said...

That is so sad. Animals bring such joy, but also heart break. I'm so sorry this had to happen. I'm sure Dottie will definitely be missed!

Rural Rambler said...

Awww Tonia I am sorry about Dottie. I know your hearts are breaking. I am thinking about Candice and you are all on mind today. I just know about goats mainly what I have learned here and I had no idea they could/would do something like that. Take Care.

Linda said...

Oh my gosh! That is so sad... ya the basic reason my buck went in the freezer also. No more horns! My heart goes out to you! {{{hugs}}}

Carol said...

So sorry to hear about Dotty. My heart goes out to you all.

Gail said...

I am so sorry. She was so beautiful.

WeldrBrat said...

My heart goes out to y'all. I can only imagine anger towards yourselves being at the forefront of your loss - but all things happen for a reason. And there is good in even the worst of circumstances. Dig as deep as you must until you find that. Because the hearts y'all have shared through your blog are witness to the fact that you would have made time - even sacrificed some other task - had you had an inkling this would happen. I'll be keeping y'all in my prayers.

Kelle said...

So... sorry for your loss, it's never easy to loose an animal you love :o(
She was beautiful and her markings so unique.

Again sorry for your loss,
Kelle

Peggy said...

I am so sorry. I know first hand how much it hurts to lose a goat member of the family. hugs

Nancy said...

So sorry about Dottie. She looks like she was a sweet goat. Treasure your memories of happier times with her. Hugs.

Feral Female said...

So sorry to hear about Dottie. I know how these goats become more than just milkers and meat, they become part of the family.

small farm girl said...

Oh, I hate to hear this about Dottie! I'm so sorry.

Stone Cottage Mama said...

So sorry to hear that! No more collars!

Love to you and your family.

OurCrazyFarm said...

I am so sorry for the loss of Dottie. We had a buck with horns once that was playing with one of the other goats and caught his horn under her collar. Had we not been right there it would have been disastrous too. Don't let yourself think it was your fault~ accidents happen. You are a GREAT goat farmer! Those goats are loved and cared for! I am now going to go take care of the last little kid from this spring that was born later than the rest and was not brought to get her horns burnt off. We choose to use the elasticator (??) method to take the horns off at this point rather than cutting them. I don't like the process but cutting is no good either. Take care:)) Cry now rather than later because Dottie was obviously loved very much:))

Texan said...

I am very sorry you lost your Dottie..

I can certainly see where if your goats wear collars you would not want a horned goat...

some goats do get aggressive, I have often wondered what will make one be that way and yet not the others.. I don't think we will ever know...

Again I am sorry...