Saturday, July 31, 2010

Remodeling The Chicken House...



Zip tying the Chicken wire to the back...
Girls keeping cool..


Kyle framing in the front  for the door..

How he connected it to the panels..

The top above the door..

More zip-ties....

Ready for the tarp!...

Okay its not Beautiful But it works well..
 Was easy on the checkbook...

 I think they maybe ticked...

Finally after waiting for everyone to roost somewhere..
 We got all 30 in the house..
It was hot out there! We started fairly early but it warmed up quick. So we took breaks and quit around 1pm till after 4:30pm when it was back in the shade. We had to wear boots too because of the thorn trees back there. We have alot of Osage Orange and Honey Locust.  Serious Thorns!  Its twice as long now so more room! It won't be so crowded this winter! I can't get anymore chickens!Lol... Even though I would like a small pen for nothing but banties....
 We ran out of lumber and we still need another support on one side. The door needs its hinges, a latch and a support across the middle.. Hang the light in its permanent place. Still have to zip tie the sides of the tarp down too.. Just little things. It will get done tomorrow.
For now they are wired in there.. And none to happy about it!Lol...
 Hmmm Now they can't lay in all the hidden places. We will see how many eggs we get now.. Of course with the change they may decide to hold back on me for a while but I am patient(haha).. I will start letting them back out in a few weeks but it will be later in the day After they have laid their eggs. I need to get something doable figured out with the nest boxes.. I have tried a few things but nothing has worked well enough for me to keep it..
 I am officially tired... So I will say good night all!

14 comments:

tattytiara said...

Oh nice job! I'll be doing that next year - they won't be my chickens, but if I'm useful getting things set up for them maybe I'll at least be allowed to name a few of them.

Brenda said...

I like it! A lot! I like the way you did your door.

I'm going to have to do something similar around here. I like letting the chickens roam free and roost in the big barn, but the fox has been making very frequent visits lately. I'm down to 8 hens and 3 roosters. I had over 30 hens just a year ago.

Thanks for the inspiration!

tree ocean said...

I have to invest in those panels! Great portable barn...well, movable anyhow!

my nest boxes are made out of scrap lumber just a two bay one sits on the ground, has a board on top and open front...hen hatched a couple chicks out of them a few weeks ago, so they work well for me...

R Dean said...

Tonia, wow, I should have had you and your family help with my coop! Would have gotten it done in warp speed! I'm wondering if I should prepare to close my run in with a shelter before the snow comes this year so they have grass to walk on instead of snow. I'll have to post that question to the blog-o-sphere, or if any of your follower's from the Midwest can help answer that, it would be great! Regarding nesting boxes, I read milk boxes work well as an alternative to building a box, although I'm not sure however the floor structure, perhaps cut some plywood for the floor and add a lip in front to prevent the eggs from coming out. R Dean

Barbara said...

Great Job!!! I have saved this post as I need another coop. While mine free range during the day and return to the coop at night to be locked up I need another one as my flock is growing. I want another one just for the ducks and one for the Turkey's. Thanks for sharing.

small farm girl said...

I've got a question. Where do you get your tarps for your barns? I notice they amost always have letters on them.

~Tonia said...

sfg They are billboard tarps. You can either buy them from www.billboardtarps.com OR call your local sign companies.. THey last for a very long time!

Feral Female said...

Nice job!

Deanna said...

Great job on a hot day. Today will be even hotter. I would be officially tired too! Hope the chickens don't hold out on you too long with those eggs. I have to wonder... what are you going to do with so many eggs????!!!!

Goodwife said...

Looks good! :)

Missouri Gal Nicole said...

Nice job! Can you send me the plans? I just noticed that hawk sitting on the hay bale! Great photo!
Yes, I've been to one swinging bridge in St Elizabeth. We used to swim there time to time. They are very scary to drive across!

~Tonia said...

Nicole I will post a blog on the plans with in the next week since several other people have asked.
There were 2 hawks out there that day when we drove by. They had made hay and the Hawks were very "busy". They were just to far to get a good pic and when we stopped flew farther away.. But I thought the pic turned out neat.. And just looks so Missouri Summer...

Callie said...

Wow... what a great idea. We had a bunch of hog panels. Sure wish we had brought them up here on the move. The coop looks like a winner. Very nice to see all the photos.

Carol............. said...

Very creative...really nice and lookin' good!