Sunday, May 9, 2010

DIY And More Goaty Pics.....


Oh If Only the fence was done...

 We have the post on one side...
With the insulators ready to be put where they need to go..

 But no wire yet. Our weekends have been full.
 In the mean time they get out when I can walk them out..
They go crazy!
This is the original fence line that we will leave.
The electric fence will be about 4ft in from there.
Leave sort of a buffer zone between us and the road.
That a very busy Highway on the other side..

April.....

 April up close..
She is the easiest going goat ever.
She also doesn't like to climb..

Sasha and Mariah...

 And Pixy she has all the attitude of her momma!
 I am glad I kept her.
She will be going to the shows this year.

 Okay and for the DIY... I had a friend give me a recipe for homemade deodorant... Well I have looked several up but never tried. So I tried this one as it was so simple....
 Its a 1/4 c each of Cornstarch and Baking soda then you add 2-3 tablespoons of Coconut oil. I added a few drops of Lavender. You know I cant just do it the way I was told!lol So I put it all in the food processor to make sure it was mixed up well... Candice came in while I was mixing it up and said OOooo Icing!! Lol No Cake in Sight... I almost had her convinced to try it.. I know I am a Mean Momma! But she didn't take the bait and was glad when I told her what it was. Anyway it works!! Woo hoo. I Like it too! So one more thing  that has harmful ingredients that I can now provide Much cheaper and better for my family.
 My Laundry soap I was not having as much luck with.. The clothes were clean but I couldn't get the grease spots out of them. It would leave spots on them and I couldn't get them out.. Then I had an Ahh hah Moment!! I use dawn Original dish soap.. Its Biodegradable which is my biggest concern because it drains out into our pasture.. And its Cheap
 So here is my revised Laundry soap recipe....
     1 bar of fels-Naptha soap. Grated and melted in hot water
     4 cups of Washing Soda
     4 cups of Borax
     1/2-1 bottle of Dawn Original dish soap
 Dissolve the first 3 ingredients in 4 gallons of hot water in a 5 gallon bucket Then add the dish soap. Stir well and let it cool. I use 1-2 cups per load. It last about 2 weeks and we do a LOT of Laundry!!

   Looks like Kyle will be home for about a week. Something with the job and the cramped way they are trying to get some stuff done. The bricklayers and the other people cant work in the same spot at the same time... He is off tomorrow for sure But maybe the rest of the week... Which we could get some stuff done around here BUT when you live paycheck to paycheck it gets a little scary.. But we will be okay.. Maybe my fence will get done... And the bathroom door upstairs fixed.... And we can go through stuff and do some spring cleaning out and getting rid of no longer needed things.... And well you get the picture always things to do!!lol

10 comments:

Feral Female said...

They do love thier browse don`t they? Great photos!

tree ocean said...

Oh look how high your grass is! Sorry to hear about the week off...

small farm girl said...

Thanks for the recipes! I've been wanting to try the homemade soap. Now I'm interested in your homeade deodorant.
Love the goat pictures too!!!!

Brenda said...

Your goat girls look great out there enjoying all that green stuff! I hope you're able to get the fence finished this week with Kyle being home. Of course ... you'll have to work between rain drops today!

Deanna said...

Good news and bad news about having a week of down time. Hope you get lots of honey do jobs done.

I'm going to have to try that laundry soap. I have a stupid question about the deoderant. What do you put it in? Is it solid? How do you put it on? Ok, that was more than one stupid question.

matty said...

The gals sure look happy! I am glad you are keeping Pixy. She is so precious; I don't know how you could part with her! Do you think she will make a good milker? How is her bag??

We are waiting for a little one this week. Momma is getting way big... It will be Lacie's first kid.

~Tonia said...

Matty- Pixy's Momma is Sunshine who doesnt have the best udder attachments but breeding her back to better bucks have greatly improved that in her girls. She is an awesome milker. She is a steady producer till I make her dry up.She was milking a gallon a day when she got sick from eating something and it has affected things but she is still producing despite the problems and getting better.
SO I think Pixy will make a great milker when her time comes. I also kept Katy who is Grabddaughter to April in the pics and her momma is Hope(april's daughter). I love their personality and they milk very well.
Deanna- On the Deodorant I have mine in a jar and just swipe about a teaspoonful out and rub it on. Its basically a solid but cocount oil melts at 76* so it will melt into your skin.

Shanster said...

Pixie is a beauty! :)

Amy said...

Hey there, just wanted to let you know that I just wrote a post on finding really cheap baking soda. http://www.mysuburbanhomestead.com/find-cheapest-source-baking-soda/

I hope you find it useful. Enjoy!

Amy said...

Hey there, just wanted to let you know that I just wrote a post on finding really cheap baking soda. http://www.mysuburbanhomestead.com/find-cheapest-source-baking-soda/

I hope you find it useful. Enjoy!