Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ants, Water Towers, And Goat Fencing....

Mud hut built by ants.....
Kyla found several and thought they were so cool.
She took a lot of pics..
Then I wonder WHY my Camera batteries are always running out?!

Hmm Which job would you rather have?
 The one on top of the tower or running the crane??
Oh and I can see this from my house...


The commercial meat slicer Kyle was given with a locked up motor.
 The motor is no longer locked up. Oh and VERY Sharp!
Just ask Kyle... He is now missing a small part of his finger.
We didn't use those carrots either..

Pixy the ham...

Moses who is officially off the bottle!
He has better things to do now...


Like stick his head through the panel and eat.

Isn't this boy Beautiful??
I really got to get on the ball and
get the ones for sale advertised better.
I haven't tried real hard but weaning time is almost here..

 Ahhh the sanity saver...
 Once we get it going..
Its needs more grounding... Don't we all?

4 strands of Barbed wire and 3 strands of Hot wire..
Around most of it and then
4 strands of electric with field fencing behind it for the rest.
It may hold the goats in.....

So the fence is now all in place even the part I didn't think was going to get done. Having little $$ makes you think of creative ways to get things done.. Or use what you have...
SO we get it hooked up then it was time to see who the smart goats are.....
Well Sunshine and April would not even try for the treats offered on the other side of the fence..
Of course Sasha had too... She yelled and run.. I would almost swear I saw Mariah push her into the fence to "try the treats"! Mariah is the one who is always slipping under the fence that was there.. But she Knew something was up! Hope tried too I thought she was smarter than that!.
Now You may think its cruel to hold treats on one side of the hot wire and try to entice the goat to it.. Only to get a shock... But these animals are my responsibility. We protect them from things that may harm them. They are also an investment.. They get out and in the road some one hits them. The owners of the animals are responsible for causing the accident. This also keeps predators from getting in..
So for them to learn real quick where their boundaries are is beneficial to both them and everyone around them. So that is why we train them the way we do.. Most people who have tried electric fence with goats have failed to train them to the fence and they will run right through it. More than likely beat you back to the house to dine on your favorite rosebush in the process....
 They have to hit their noses on it because generally it wont shock through the hair on the rest of their body. So after being trained they equate the fence with hurt and avoid it. Some need to be reminded occasionally.Others remember it for their Entire life time!
Sunshine the goat I have had the longest since she was a bottle baby has always been held by an electric fence. She will NOT go through any type of fence. Instead she watches most everyone else go under over or through fences and then starts hollering at me.. Did I mention she thinks she is a person?? lol She is also the herd queen, tattle tale and alarm clock! She lets me know when I am late by staring at the back door hollering monotonously until I am out there with all the proper equipment for morning chores..
Okay that's it for the night!

11 comments:

tree ocean said...

Oh I have a parmak too I hope yours is as tough as mine *knock on wood* Had it 20 + years and it has taken at least three lightning hits...

the fence looks great! and I am green with envy over the slicer I used them a lot at jobs...make sure you and the kids always use the thing that holds the food in place as it is a shield for your fingers!

Feral Female said...

Great pictures! Looks like the electric fence is just about ready!

small farm girl said...

I always wondered if electric would hold in goats. Thanks for telling me how to get them trained. Now I know I can use electric.

Deanna said...

We had to do the same thing with our guard dog. Only we put his dog bowl close to the fence when it was raining. We didn't want him to associate the shock with us. The sheep respected it after their first shock, no matter how they were shocked.

The grinder should have stayed locked up!!!!! OUCH!

Goodwife said...

Girl that buck is GORGEOUS! Makes me want a Nubian buck to use on my two new Nubian girls......LOL
I feel the exact same way about the hot wire, and we do it the same way you do. When they are babies, that way they don't usually test it! ;)

Brenda said...

Moses is a beautiful boy! I can't wait to see the babies you have next spring from him.

Congratulations on the fencing getting done. I hope they all remember to respect it ... especially Sasha and Mariah!

The slicer is really nice.... be careful though!! I hope Kyle is okay.

Anonymous said...

Moses is jaw dropping beautiful.
I no longer use electric in the fence. I see where we could have gone wrong in our efforts.

Have a beautiful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Not sure where my comments went, but the blog didn't ask for my ID, Lylah. This is Mary with Annie's Goat Hill (not anonymous). :)

Mary said...

I am back, the crazy woman I am!

I called you Lylah because I was thinking about her, a blog that I follow, whom is new to goats. I apologize, Tonia!!

I have been extremely tired lately, with little time to leave comments, read, much less write my blog.

Loved your photos. Hope the fence works out well.

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

I am glad you got a good fence for the goats. I don't think it is cruel at all! We have an eletronic fence with shock collars for our dogs. Its the only way to keep the safe. Our property is open and unfenced all the way to the highway where people drive 80-100k/hr. People drive that fast on our road too!

They have had lots of training and understand their peremiter very well. They seem at ease and happy with the flag fence.

tree ocean said...

I ran electric fence for horses before goats and goats were hard! I had two full grown wethers and ran three strands like for the horse and of course one went right through! So I added three more strands and he still went through! A friend told me to wait for a wet day!!!LOL *evil chuckle* yes a wet day really gives them a zap even on wet hair!

Flagging it is important, too, so they don't accidentally run through it.

My last two yearlings weren't electric trained and the one with long guard hair kept getting out but I guess he finally learned since it's been awhile now...all of them are more likely to tear a hole in the regular fence than dare the electric!