Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicks,Gardens, And Treating Mastitis


Brave? Or Just Bird Brained?

My Broody Barred Rock hen..
Thinking.. Maybe.. I will let her set on a clutch...


Hmmm Adding 2 more roosters to the total out of the babies..
They look like they are about to go on strike...
Honestly they had food this morning!

My flower/herb garden in the front.
 It currently only has Roses..

And then one to the side..
Its has a Snowball bush and a Hydrangea.. So far...

Crash and Eddie(the little eared goats) and Ethel's boy

Moses Thoroughly enjoying his bottle..
Yes he is almost 3 months old..

Eddie... Sneaking around...

Sunshine and what she thinks of all my picture taking..

My recovering Sunshine.. And Pixy!!
As you can see Sunshine is still skinny. But she still has a shine to her hair and is acting like her old self.
She has gained weight in the last few days and is producing milk enough for the one baby and I am milking her out too. I got her through this with out her going into parasite overload! Which is so good for her.
 Anyway after her getting sick and getting mastitis I was very worried that she may dry up completely for the year.. Or damage that side and not produce milk again..ever... SO I treated the mastitis pretty aggressively..
 I went to all my websites I like to read and read up on the mastitis. She had it once before her second freshening and came out of it okay.  So I gave her a shot of Biomycin it was 7 cc and she is a 160 lb goat.. It last for a few days so I gave it again in 3 days.. 12 hours after her Antibiotic shot I gave her a dose of Probiotics. At the same time I was using the Today mastitis treatment I used one full tube on the bad side for 5 days. That was the conventional/chemical methods....
Added to this... I gave her 3000mg of Vitamin C twice a day and 1-2 cups of cut and Sifted red raspberry 3-4 times a day. I was also giving her 5cc of Vitamin B-complex by mouth along with Comfrey leaves C/S once a day. Then I made up a salve.. I used Fias Co Farm idea for an udder salve plus a few things. I mixed Coconut oil,Olive oil, A little beeswax, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Tea Tree and Oregano along with a little comfrey leaves and warmed it enough to melt the beeswax.. Let it set out warm for a few hours..
Then I was massaging it into her udder every time I milked her out. I didn't let her babies nurse because I didn't want them getting all the meds.. So I was bottle feeding them. But Pixy is now back on her momma.
The side with mastitis is completely soft now and is getting a little milk. But it may take a while to get the milk flow back up. Pixy nursing will help. I milk over a quart and a half out of the other side this morning.  She is looking so much better. She is on her regular grain plus 1/4 lb of Calf Manna morning and night. And of course all the hay she can eat and some browsing everyday.
Speaking of browsing/grazing.. Kyle started my fence last night!! I am so excited! It will be so nice to let them back out on the pasture everyday!!
And Thats All Folks!...For today anyway.....

7 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

So glad Sunshine is doing better!! :) I love the adolescent roosters...too cute!

Deanna said...

Wow! Between taking care of Sunshine and bottle feeding babies, plus of course taking care of your family, house, and gardens.... when do you sleep?

Can't wait to see the pretty flowers in that flower bed.

Goodwife said...

Glad she's doing better! I really like that Fias Co Farm site, lots of good info on there.

Feral Female said...

Seems to always be plenty of roosters in a hatch doesn`t there? =)

goatpod2 said...

Nice pictures!

Amy

Texan said...

Glad Sunshine is doing so much better...

The swings brings back good memories :O)...

I saved one whole row in my garden for herbs! I am learning slowly but surely about them. The row is quite long so it will hold many :O). I have culinary herbs planted here and there also in the garden :O)... any herbs you think are a must have? I bought some seeds for Calendula :O)and a few others... I want to make lotion for myself with the Calendula.So much to learn!!

~Tonia said...

I am trying to start Calendula Again. last year long story and I didnt get them in the ground... Maybe this year will be a different story..
I am not sure on the must haves yet.. Mints and Lavender is my favorite.. I love the fresh oregano and sage... Fresh Sage is yummy with a little melted butter over noodles...
Comfrey I will be using for the animals and trying to make a healing salve.. We will see on that too..