Saturday, March 6, 2010

Still Waiting.......


The sky this afternoon
and if you look real close this oak tree has buds!!

Some of my hens...
They have been Dusting in the wood ashes a bunch!
So the white chickens aren't so white...

This isn't all of them...
Some of them are on the nest box too..

Peeking in on the boys...
Moses and Jacob....

I think they are doing just fine..
Contrary to their opinion!lol
 Bruce is relaxed....

Ethel on the table...  She loves to be up high like this.

You cant see it but Van wanted her spot..
She is a little bit wide!LOL

He is so mean!
No compassion for the poor pregnant girls..

Sunshine... Ligs tightened back up some..
But udder is full! It cant be more than a day or 2..
 Remind when I say this a week from now...haha

Mariah in the front. She is one pretty girl!


This is Elliot the Idiot...
His Looks are very deceiving..
I will explain farther down...
 I got a lot done today... Planted my roses.. Cleaned the little bit out of the goat barn for mulch.. I am hoping to stay on top of the barn cleaning so it doesn't pile up like that again.. I Also went to get more hay. I had been getting some really good Red clover hay. But its was starting to look not so good and he was running out..
 So I called a different guy about Alfalfa.. He had a bale open to show us.. Very good stuff! Smelled like summer time.. The goats love it too! lol
  Now on to the bunny.. He is a little Holland Lop/Dwarf Hotot cross buck. His momma is sweet and loves attention. His daddy is easy to handle and rarely even scratches.. but this is One Bad bunny.... He goes NUTS! We handled him from the very first and he would play and was very people friendly till about 10 weeks old. We had him inside for a while even.. Then one day I went to reach in and he grabbed a hold of my gloves with his teeth and jumped on my hand! Hanging on by his teeth he scratched at me with his back legs.. Very Aggressive.... I thought okay one time thing.. He was in with the other 2 babies from the other litter. We separated everyone..  So he was by himself. Then Kara comes in and shows me the hole he put in her Leather glove..  You reach in to put in the food he attacks.. You pour water in he attacks it..   You open the cage he attacks. I just pushed the lawnmower up on the back porch Not running and he flips out running around the cage at a high rate of speed clawing at the sides! All the other on the back porch are just sitting there looking at me..
 I don't know why he is like this I have never had one this aggressive. There is no other male around him. His parents aren't remotely aggressive. Needless to say we wont be breeding them again. I am not sure what to do with him. He is to small for meat. He is only about 3lbs max. So for now we go in with full body armor to feed a 3lb rabbit.. Any suggestions???
 In the mean time we are still waiting for the first babies to drop... Sunshine is still holding on. But I know as soon as one does the rest will follow shortly after! But till then we are waiting...waiting... waiting!Lol
 I have 3 puny kids right now. The girls have done well all winter no colds or flu... Till now. We have a cold going from person to person in the house.. Its not bad but makes them feel lousy.. The first one that had it is feeling somewhat better tonight.. SO I think it will be short lived...
 Have a good night everyone!

10 comments:

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

Maybe he has a physical problem? Could he be in pain? Cute little fella but I wouldn't put up with that behaviour. Will he get big enough to eat eventually? Is he worth keeping?

The goats sure do look ready to drop! You are going to be so busy, very soon!

Feral Female said...

Wonderful pictures!

I hope whatever is going around your home is short-lived too!

tree ocean said...

Have you ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Towards the end there is an "evil rabbit" (looks like a NZ white) that attacks and kills (decapitates) a few of the knights...

When I had NZ's I had a mean one, too...no suggestions, there... (what me, no advice?!?! lol)

getting any cashmere off those goats? a few look like they are shedding...:D haha like you don't have enough to do...

Brenda said...

That's really strange about Elliot. I've never heard of a rabbit getting so crazy after they've been calm for most of their lives. I hope someone is able to give you some ideas about how to help him. Be careful feeding the Attack Rabbit!

The boys look like they've made the transition from being house goats to the great outdoors just fine. I'll bet they complained though! Probably very loudly!

I was hoping I'd see new baby goats when I checked in on you this morning. :D

~Tonia said...

Tree they are all shedding! Van looks down right shaggy!lol
Sheryl- I have checked him over(teeth, feet, ears, all the obvious)It all looks fine. He is fullgrown at 3lbs... :( So no eating him.. We already thought of that...
I wont sell or give him away with the way he is acting. I am really stumped with what to do or why he is acting like this..

mother plus teacher said...

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with you evil rabbit! Not sure I could deal with that.

goatpod2 said...

Lovely pictures, sorry I had to leave Facebook.

Amy

hillybilly annie said...

I know it sounds mean but have a squirt gun with you and try squirt water in his face when you try and feed him. We had rabbits growing up,Alot of rabbits, went threw a 50 pound bag a week. We did have one mean one somewhat like that, and that is what we did and it cured the problem
hoping to see baby pictures soon as well.

~Tonia said...

I will try that Annie thank you... I do that with my goats but never thought about using it on the rabbit...

Texan said...

I am thinking if you add that bunny to a stew he is enough to flavor it... he is no fun like he is and you sure don't want offspring from him with those traits...

I know nothing about bunnies so using him for flavoring is the best I can come up with LOL...