Saturday, March 20, 2010

Difficult Birth........

Poor April....

Her one surviving baby Boy!

He is Huge!!

 So now the story of April's Traumatic birth... She had stringy bloody mucous this morning. I thought for sure she was getting ready to have them Right then... I checked her and she was Not dilated at all..  I thought I will wait till after the 4H Goat project... Came home a little later and she was still having this fluid..  I went in and checked things out. She had dilated some but not fully..  I tried helping her and then let her rest and did it again. Then water gushed, I slowly pushed pass and found a back elbow on the baby.. But the legs were so long I was having trouble finding the hooves.. It was backwards....  She had finally dilated and was in a lot of pain I got both back feet and pulled Baby Boy #1.. He had been dead for a little while and full of fluid...  I went back in for #2 BOY! He was also backwards. Got him out and he was breathing.. She starts cleaning him off and seems to be having no contractions..
  I check to see if there was more.. I didn't feel anything! I was like wow all that for two boys, BIG Boys but still just 2.... They were/are about 10lbs each...  I sent Candice to the house with the live baby and I am milking off all the moms about to bust out there since babies aren't keeping up yet. I milked a Gallon of Colostrum out of April in the mean time. She lays down, starts pushing and there is another bubble! So I am thinking how in the world did I miss another baby! I popped the bubble and found a little hoof and head. It didn't feel right.. I pulled it and brought out what I thought was the placenta.. Later when I was buring the stuff it revealed another baby like this one. Small and not quite formed all the way..  
 She has yet to pass the placenta but is starting to eat a little and I have been giving her warm molasses water to help with energy.
 Here is the reason I think we have had trouble like this...
  We live in a selenium deficient area.. I thought with the Black oil Sunflower seeds and mineral I could cover their need for Selenium.... But trouble birthing and retained placentas is one of the problems associated with the deficiency. I am going to start giving them the supplement on a regular basis..
 Here is a link showing some symptoms for certain deficiencies.
http://www.saanendoah.com/nutritionalchart.html
As for April I will be milking her through this year she needs a good Long break from having babies and maybe in 2 years we will have something figured out and not have to go through something like this...
 All the other babies and moms are doing great. I am sooo tired and headed to bed. I bet we have babies from Abby tomorrow... Please a girl!!Lol

12 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm so sorry for April. The baby boy is really big! He's a cutie too!

Thank you for the link showing the symptoms for deficiencies. This will be very helpful.

Goodwife said...

I'm so sorry she had such trouble! That is never fun and so stressful on everybody! Hopefully you can get the selenium deficiency figured out! I'll cross my fingers for a girl for you!

Linda said...

Ah poor April!

Barbara said...

I am so sorry for the trauma that both April and yourself experienced. Thankfully Mama is ok and baby boy.

Wishing you and April and quiet relaxing day.

tree ocean said...

Thank goodness you know what to do! That baby is HUGE! So sorry for the troubles for April and you all...:(

Mary said...

I will be stepping up with the Bo-Se next year. I had things happen this year that made me think selenium deficiency too. I used to give annual booster shots.

I hope April and son are fine now.

goatpod2 said...

Poor April but congrats on the buckling!

Amy

OurCrazyFarm said...

What a sad day~ poor April. He sure is a big boy! The name Goliath seems fitting! We have lost 2 kids this year as well, it is hard... thinking of you and hoping the next delivery goes better with lots of little girls:))

Feral Female said...

Poor April.

Gail said...

It is good that you know what you are doing. In this, you have quite possibly saved Momma's life too.

Congratulations on the pretty baby.

Linda said...

I use Selenium - E Gel as recommended by Fias Co Farm: 5 weeks before kidding- 1st Selenium/Vitamin E. Then again 2 weeks before kidding. see here - and here.

WeldrBrat said...

Tonia,

So sorry to hear this poor girl had so much trauma and loss. On the other side of the coin - she has every chance of coming through this because she has the right owner.

Have you any idea - how many ppl out there would continue breeding despite all the agony and close call this girl has endured? Here is perfect example why your details in your postings are so important. They fall on ears all over the world that - otherwise - would not know any better.

Thanks for sharing!