Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Update On Laundry Soap....

 I have messed around with my "recipe" for laundry soap...  I started with the original recipe which is this...
 Original Recipe
1 bar of Fels-Naptha(or other bar soap)

1 cup of Washing Soda(Not Baking Soda) 3 Cups of Washing Soda(More is Better Right?)

3 Gallons of Hot Water 4Gallons plus some...

1 T of Essential Oil

Grate soap into a sauce pan with very hot water Not Boiling. Dissolve soap. Mix into 3-4 gallons of Hot Water then add Washing Soda.. I flip flopped this part and nothing Exploded! Promise!!Lol

Mix together well and add the table spoon of Essential Oil. I am going to try Lavender next time! Eucalyptus and Lavender are disinfectants so is Oregano but I really don't want my clothes smelling like Spaghetti sauce! lol
 It says to mix it in a 5 gallon bucket but I used a big stock pot and poured it back into Laundry soap bottles...
 
Here is What I have changed.....
 I grate the soap up in my Food Processor(Much easier). I no longer pour it back into laundry soap bottles.. because It kept getting a thick crusty layer that would rise to the top. It would be very liquidy(Is that a Word?) on the bottom... I use the 5 gallon bucket and a dipper.. I also had trouble with it not getting greasy stains out.. Basically it wasn't working on grease..So I had an idea.. Scary I know...
 
 So here is the "New" recipe that is working for me..
 
1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
3 Cups of Washing Soda(Not Baking Soda)
3 cups of Borax
2 cups of Original Dawn dish soap(it is biodegradable)
1 Gallon of very hot water plus 4 gallons...
1 tablespoon of Essential Oil(still prefer Eucalyptus!)

Grate the bar Soap with food processor. I then add blade to the food processor and chop it into tiny pieces that dissolve quicker.. I add a little washing soda to keep it from clumping together..
 Then I add to almost boiling gallon of water in the 5 gallon bucket... Stir till soap is dissolved then start adding Washing soda and Borax. Add a little more hot tap water at a time till all powder and soap is dissolved.
 Then add the 2 cups of Dish Soap and the Essential oil.. You still have a Biodegradable laundry soap that gets out greasy stains and smells good... Its also still much cheaper than Store bought Laundry soap!!
 This is gel like but still scoop out and dissolves in cold water more easily than original recipe. Also doesn't get that thick crust the other one did.. Still needs stirred occasionally too..
  On to other things..
 Moses is using the recliner to bounce off of now. He is very active and funny! The girls are playing their new game... FARMOPOLY... Yes just like Monopoly just farm themed... Pretty cool.. Helps apply Math...
 I am wading through auto insurance.. Or previous Insurance company kept going up for no reason, Switched to Esurance only to get an email 4 days later saying they can't cover Salvaged titled vehicles.. I just want Liability nothing more complicated than that.. So they transfer me to their company that would cover and they start asking for all sorts of irrelevant information.... So I am back to square one.. Esurance will cover us for 30 days though..  Oh Joy!!

8 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Tonia, I'm constantly changing my laundry detergent recipe too. One of these days it will be perfect.. LOL! One extra step I've been doing as far as using it: I took a lidded quart jar, marked with a sharpie where i need to fill the detergent to, and add hot water almost all the way up. Then shake the heck out of it! Mixes much better that way for me since I always use a cold wash.

I also use the food processor for grating. Works great, huh?

That Moses sounds like he would be great entertainment :) Enjoy your afternoon/evening! -Tammy

Brenda said...

Very interesting recipe for laundry soap. Where do you get the ingredients for making it. Yes, I know where to get Dawn dish soap ... but where do you get the other stuff ?? I think I'd like to give it a try!

~Tonia said...

LOL Okay I wont tell you were to get the dish soap..But believe it or not I get the Fels-Naptha soap, the Washing soda, and Borax at our little grocery store here in town.. Walmart sometimes has some of these.. I havent seen the Bar soap or Washing soda at Walmart but they do have the Borax Laundry Booster there unless they had started carrying it recently.. Natures Pantry did have the Fels-Naptha Bar soap.

Barbara said...

As far as car insurance the best quote I have ever gotten was from Geico. Really affordable. You choose how you wish to pay. One lump sum, monthly, every 3 months, etc.....you have nothing to lose by going online and letting them give you a quote.

tree ocean said...

If I had my own washer I would be doing that! I bet the eucalyptus smells good, too!

Good luck with the car insurance-I feel I pay way too much for min liability and since I am on a payment plan I don't even get my good driver discount! Plus they charge $5 a month for the payment plan! Jerks! If you find a good one let me know! Mine is one beacon I don't recommend it!

the worst is the way the bill comes compared to my other bills it is the odd one out and they give me a very small window to pay (ten days from bill receipt) before they send a cancellation notice...I like to write all the checks at once, so the last few months I have been calling it in on a debit card-for $5 I guess they can answer the phone and run the charge!! LOL (make them earn that stinkin $5!)

Kelle said...

Tonia,
Other than the Dawn soap my recipe is very similar. I did completely the borax, as a plumber friend told us that in our hard water it will build up on the inside of pipes. I love Eucalyptus and Lavendar is okay too. I tried Tea Tree, but it was to much for our noses, even watered down.

I ask people the same very personal questions they ask me, especially phone marketers and I've yet to have any answer my questions, they simply hang up, LOL! I get so tired of people trying to get personal info when they DON'T need it. Insurance companies are my biggest pet peeve, let's NOT forget they are in the business of making money, not giving it back
Our neighbor was covered by Allstate for 20+yrs. with not a claim one, a few years back he got a notice of cancellation. When he called to inquire what was going on, he was actually told that according to their statistics he was due for an accident, so therefore they were cancelling him. I kid you not that is what he was told and of course being reired and living on SS, couldn't afford an attorney to fight them. They took his premiums, never paying a claim and then when they felt he might actually have a claim( in the future) statistically they plucked his policy

Okay my blood is boiling I need to take a walk outside in the sunshine, LOL! Have a blessed day!

Feral Female said...

Ugh, I do not like dealing with insurance companies of any kind! They always leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Hidden Brook Farm said...

Mine rarely keeps a gel too; but I pour into old detergent bottles & just give a good shake before pouring. If you can't find the Fels-Naptha, Ivory will work just fine. I make just plain lard soap now with 0% superfat which I use now. Also been playing around with making a stainstick...not satisfied with it yet-lol.

My sister had a plumber tell her the same thing about using Dawn-when he was cleaning out her kitchen pipes-lol. The Dawn works as a short term emulsifier to keep things blended...other dishwashing liquids should work the same.