Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Am Looking.....

 For Gallon jars!!! DO you know how hard it is to find them with out paying an arm and a leg for them!! Some places have them cheap till you get to the Shipping.  I don't necessarily have to have new ones but the lids fit better. Wide mouth is better because its easier to clean. I have some that take a regular canning jar lid but they work better for storing dry stuff.
 I have 7 goats getting ready to start freshening in 3 weeks from today and my jar supply is really low.. I also bulk ordered several different kinds of dried herbs and need some place to store them... I have the shelf in my bedroom where it stays cool Now I just need the jars to put it in!!....
 I have tried advertising on Craigslist but the one who had some was to far away....  So I don't know what I will do.. I wish I could have visited a few more thrift stores in Springfield while I was there 3 different times in the last week But  I wasn't able too. I may have been able to find a few there..
 I survived the 6 kids and 4H Goat camp today.. The extra 3 kids go home tomorrow sometime. It was for the most part basics at the Goat Camp. Did learn a few new things. That's always good.. Everyone one something to from the door prizes. One of the boys won a whole bag of Purina goat feed!! I wanted to win the bag of Manna Pro Goat Minerals But I didn't... Hey It would have saved me $10!!
 Speaking of goats!! Its 21 days till D-Day!! I saw Sunshine's Baby side flip flop a little!! Dottie, Sunshine, Ethel  And Mariah are really getting serious about their udders and they are starting to fill up. Not like they will be at birth or a little after but definitely getting the ball rolling!Lol Some of them have started showing a little goo on the back end too. Not uncommon this early. I started the Red Raspberry tonight. Instead of the tea which I will do later I am mixing the dry leaf  in with their grain. I have also added a few more feed pans due to the fact I have seen one of the younger ones get butted away quite frequently lately.. I have 6 feed pans of various sizes out for 9 goats!! You know they are pregnant and get Very serious about their food! Okay they are always Serious about their food but More so than usual!
 Now I just need to get Hoof trimming done, CD&T shots, and barn cleaned out.... Hmm I have heard this somewhere... Oh yeah I said it last week!! Maybe Just maybe Kyle will be home next week some and he will help me since it will be my birthday soon... You know one of those "I will love you forever" practical gifts!!! hehe....
 I have a future blog post int he works. I have several people email lately asking about my Panel/Tarp Barn... I thought I had posted about it. But all I can find is bits and pieces. SO I am going to post an entry from start to finish with exactly what we used.. If anyone is interested...
 Now I am a little tired from the Looonnnng day so Good Night all!

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

I don't ever see the gallon jars either. But how about 1/2 gallon. They cool the milk faster and you can get those at TrueValue.

Sounds like many many baby goats will be coming soon!

Barbara said...

I went searching for these once for sprouts. The cheapest ones I found were at Walmart, (I know everyone hates Walmart) but, If you go to the food isle that has the really large cans of food you will find a 1 gallon size jar of pickles. Yep, lots of pickles you will have but those were the cheapest 1 gallon jars I have seen. I paid 3.23 per jar that included pickles. Do the girls like pickles?.....LOL....Hmmmm, Do the chickens like pickles?....giggling....Good Luck.
Happy Valentines Day!

Awhile back I did see a post on your panil/tarp barn and have not been able to find it. I remember I made a mental note in case I ever needed one. Somehow it has gotten lost in Blog land. Looking forward to the post.

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

Can you use large freezer bags for storing dried herbs, beans, etc until you get jars. You can store them all in one large container like popcorn/dogfood cans.

Please post pics of new kids!! Sounds like you will be very busy quite soon!

I was sure I posted this comment, but it didn't show up so I am posting it again. If you get two of them, please delete one.

tree ocean said...

Well happy birthday coming up!

I don't know if they would work for goat milk, but pickles and cherries used to come in the big gallon jars at restaurants. I was going to say relish but I think that changed to plastic. Anyhow, if you have restaurants around you could ask them to save them we did if folks asked....best to ask someone in the kitchen.

I guess I am not sure if they would work since the plastic liner in the metal lid likes to absorb the pickle odor but maybe soaking in baking soda would work....

Too bad we don't live closer I have a pile of quart canning jars I would gladly give you and some bigger ones too! I hate to throw them out but ....can you say pack rat? LOL

PS Happy V day

Gail said...

If it is just for storage, try a restraraunt. They receive many things in large mouth gallon jars. Most around here are glad to have them hauled off.

We use them for dry storage and they could be used for temporary storage of milk.

Have a wonderful day.

small farm girl said...

I haven't really seen an gallon jars either. If I have something that needs to be stored in a big jar, I use those big pickle jars that you can get a Sam's Club or some place like that. You get a jar plus pickles. lol. Get some rest before D-Day. It looks like you are going to be busy. lol

Linda said...

I too have looked for gallon jars in vain... I hope you find some soon.

I would be interested in your Panel/Tarp Barn also...

New babies soon - very cool, looking forward to pictures!

Missouri Gal Nicole said...

I gave you an award on my blog. Happy Valentines Day!
Nicole

Kelle said...

Tonia, got to a resturant and ask of they get their pickles and relishes in glass jars, then ask if you can have them, or offer a small amount for them. We literally had them coming out our ears! They smell but after washing and soaking to get the labels off we simply left them open for a few days on the counter and the smell was nill.

Hope thus helps you, be sure to tell them you need the lids in god shape, otherwise sometimes they get trashed.

Blessings,
Kelle

Feral Female said...

Those gallon jars are hard to come by thats for sure! I`ve searched through every thrift shop in our county to no avail. I hope you have better luck than I did!

~Tonia said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I am goingt o have to go with the Ball Half gallons because I can still find them.. But I bought 2 cases(8 jars each) and only have 6 jars left. They seem to be more fragile..
Pickles are good but it would take us forever to eat even a half gallon!Lol I have been able to get the smell out of the lid. Takes a while but can be done!
I will have to check with the restuarant though...