Sunday, February 14, 2010

How We Built Our Panel Barn....

 Okay before I get started Again! Can you believe I had almost this whole post done and hit a button and deleted it?!?! I hit the Ctrl button and that was it.. Never to be retrieved.. I even tried going to my drafts NOTHING!! So anyways.....

  Here we go again.......
List of Materials....
 8-5'X16' Cattle Panels
 6" Concrete Ties or other wire** Pictured
 (You can get about 1000 for around $15-20)
8-9 6ft T-post
 Heavy Duty tarp to fit...
Big glass of Sweet tea
List Of Tools...
Wire Cutters
Bolt Cutters
Twisty tool for the concrete ties(makes it go fast)
Post Driver

Space 4 post for each side out evenly to be attached to a panel on either side. Decide how wide you want it. But be careful and not get to wide as it wont have any support in the middle.  We now put the post on the Inside of the panels so they rub on the tarp as little as possible. I would recommend capping the T-post because they will poke a hole in the tarps.


 Now for the Ceiling.....
  We wire the top panels about 2 squares down on each side for stability and wiring every 2 squares across... We used hog panels the first time but we used cattle panels because I wanted it a little taller this time. The one in the pic above is the first time we built it and the roof was about 10ft and then we went to 12 or 15ft when we put it up here at this place..  This pic also has 3 panels across and we enlarged it to 4 across when we put it up here..

 Now for the back......
 This is 2 panel pieces that we put together to make it 10' wide. Its doubled in the middle and wired to the T-post on the corners. If you were going to house bucks with this I would put at least 2 post in the back here.
 With this setup pictured here I can let the tarp flap down in the warmer weather to let air flow through and it Flows well!! I like the white tarp better too. Its brighter..
  Then All you have to do is Slide your tarp over and fasten it down at Every Grommet! Or if you are using a Billboard tarp you can slide a rope through the pocket on the edge. We cut little slits along the bottom and then tied it down every 6 inches.
It took us about 3-4 hours the first time but that was figuring out how it would all go together.. We can now put it up in less than 2 hours.

  This is our first Panel Barn...... You can see back in the far corner where the tarp didn't quite fit But bedding covered that real quick.. The silver tarps can be pretty dark. The end was closed in on this one permanently and it was pretty warm in the summer. So I hung a box fan inside and the goats loved that!! I would find them in there sitting under the fan!Lol

And here is our barn now!!

This is how bright it is inside when the sun is shining!!
                                  
 This made it affordable for us to have goats. We figured at the very least it would have cost about $700-1000 to build a barn not to mention the weeks it would take doing it ourselves. First time putting it up was less than $200. Now that I can get billboard tarps cost dropped again...  
  This shelter has withstood serious winds and storms. 80 mph straight line winds one time!! When the snow piled up on it we just grab a hold of the roof and give it a good shake. It all comes sliding off and piles around it providing a little more insulation around the bottom! It also caught fire once due to me not securing a heat lamp well enough. It burnt the tarp and some hay but the rest smoldered for a little bit. We were able to get the goats out and everyone was okay.. Cleaned out the burnt stuff and replaced the tarp. It was scary but a wooden barn would have probably been a total loss..
  Since we have moved twice since getting goats it has made it possible to keep them where ever we are at..  Also its considered a portable shelter so no taxes on it.....
 I think I have covered everything now.. I am Sure I left something out somewhere!Lol 
It is snowing again... Oh yeah....
 

23 comments:

small farm girl said...

That's a great idea for a barn! I might have to consider that for when we need a nice shelter for some animals. Thanks for the post!

Brenda said...

Tonia - Thanks for posting the photos of your tarp barn. I'm going to build one of these this spring for my young goats to have a nice sheltered place to play.

Linda said...

Yes it is a great idea! Wow! Thank you for posting how you made it.

Barbara said...

Thank you for posting on this. I have saved it and going to make one as you know already. I did get another stall built out of recycled material. Will post on it and have pics. We are also going to build this one as an additional shelter. I have learned that if you have farm animals extras shelter is a very good thing. One question, Where does one get billboard tarps?

~Tonia said...

There is a website to order them from and for the durability they have they are worth the money. www.billboardtarps.com. Or give your local sign companies a call you never know what you may some across!!

~Tonia said...

You never Know what you may Come across Not Some!! Lol!!

Anke said...

That is very interesting. Where did you get the cattle panels?

Gail said...

Great idea, especially the tax break. Do the goats chew on the tarps?

~Tonia said...

Any farm supply store, feed store, construction supply stores or even some Lowes has Panels. They may have a different name But we used just the generic cattle panel.
No problem with the goats chewing on them.. Maybe a nibble here and there just checking things out but that is it.. Goats are really very discriminate about what they chew on. lol

Nezzy said...

Your goaties seem to be enjoyin' their new bed and breakfast! Great job!

Ya'll have a richly blessed day from the hills and hollers of the Ponderosa!!!

tree ocean said...

I thought you wired rebar to your posts and arched it over to help support the roof or maybe that was research I did on tarp barns after I read about yours...

One thing about the cattle panels-as you know-horned goats can get stuck in them, but folks with horned goats or sheep could overlay 2X4 welded or woven fence to the side, although the tarp well secured might help discourage them from sticking their heads through.

I didn't want to dish out the money for the panels, so I put in wooden fence posts and used 2X4 welded mesh for the sides. For the top, I wired leftover water pipe- 1-1/2" black plastic for hoops and wired the fence to them. Then I overlaid a lumber tarp, and since that isn't waterproof, I put a sheet of plastic just over the top and used baling twine over it and tied to the side to hold it down.

Well, my goats decided they wanted a window and chewed a big hole in the side of the tarp and started climbing on the fence to rip at the plastic, so I put up another section of 6 foot fence on the outside and that put an end to that.

Same thing with the snow, I just sweep it off after a storm but the goats do not like that sound! Yikes! The sky is falling! LOL

Your tarp barn is way more solid than mine, just thought I would share my experience of trying to do it even cheaper! With stuff I had around like extra fencing, water pipe, baling twine, etc...

PS as Tonia knows I live up North where we get a lot more snow but not prone to high winds..this one stood for 20 inches of snow so far this year...

~Tonia said...

Nope no rebar.. We did think about one time taking T-Post and driving them down the middle and then adding tall 4-6" PVC pipes to support the roof if needed But its not ever been needed as I have kept it fairly narrow...
There is probably a 100 different ways to do this.. Kyle being OCD like he is, wanted it to not move unless we moved it!LOL
I have trouble with the goats chewing regular plastic Or if its those blue or silver tarps and they fray. They like to chew on those, But not the Billboard tarps.. Dont know why... Maybe they taste funny!Lol
The tarp being pulled tight does discourage them from sticking their heads through. I also have all disbudded/dehorned goats Except Van. So I hadnt really had to worry about it.
I did use field fencing for the back at onetime too.
Just so many variables!!

Missouri Gal Nicole said...

Very cool! I'd like to make something like that myself!

tree ocean said...

Tonia Yours is awesome lucky you to have an OCD hubby! I would love to do one in panels and billboard like yours! Maybe I should send you a pic and you can add my comment and "how NOT" to do a tarp barn...heheh You guys would shake you head if you saw mine but I have other shelters too so I don't mind if it's a bit flimsy- it's a place to hay in the bad weather anyhow...

~Tonia said...

LOL Yeah if you had seen what I had before its like a Palace!!.. I had a house small enough for 2 full sized goats that Liked each other.. Then they had babies!! Then I got 8 more goats!! I had a Metal hut, an old table and original house covered in a tarp!!HAHA

michaelb3600 said...

Beautiful job! If you are ever in search of another post driver, check this link.

Bruce said...

What size tarps did you need to get complete coverage over your barn?

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

The size of tarp depends on how big the barn. Ours in the pic was 16 ft long. with the way the panels are attached it makes it 20ft from one side over the top to the other. So a 20X24 worked. Gave enough to cover the north end.
Now its twice as long. We have 2 tarps on it and they equal to a 20X40.

Ranch Supplycom said...

Love this idea! My trellises are all getting old and worn out, so I've been on the hunt for new ideas. I'm getting some cattle panels this weekend - thanks

Amanda H said...

Thank you for your great tutorial! I am planning on building one the same way you did. Do you think it would work ok if I made it wider? About 14' wide instead of the 10'? Have you ever made a wider one?

Amanda H said...

Great info thank! Do you think building it just like you did but making it 14' wide would work ok?

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

We have made it a little wider but if you do it has to have supports down the middle and its not quite as sturdy as being more narrow. We moved it last year and widened it just a little and we had to add the supports down the middle this winter with all the snow and stuff we have gotten.

adeel rehman said...

I use the hog panels with 4x4 squares, still 4 x 16. I'm using them as lattice inserted into wood and galvanized tin fencing. When I lived in San Antonio, Gardenwille used to sell tomato cages very similar to yours, except the edge squares were cut in half and rounded into a circle and each panels circles were brought together with a 18 guage wire going down the center of the side circles to hold together.cattle panels I bought for of them and have had them for years and are still in great shape. They fold into one piece for storage.