Friday, January 8, 2010

When Cabin Fever Sets In....

This is how a day goes when you have been stuck in the house Unwillingly..... Our driveway is slick and uphill so we don't leave unless its in the wood truck now..
5am
Listen to the wind blow and scanner going off.. Rollover and go back to sleep. Not hubby's tones to be called out... Not that I would have gotten out of bed then anyways. Its to cold!
7am.......Let house dogs out.. One takes off. I chase Tink Screamin  in crocs and PJ's Come back in with a few frozen toes!
Hubby feeds the woodstove...
 Check email, drink coffee.. Lots of Coffee, Check FaceBook, Goat Forum and Blog....
Get  Kids up and send them out to do morning chores.. I supply all water they carry out to the animals.. And help them thaw when they get back in...
Check Email, Facebook and Blog again... Oh and the Goat forum.. Who knows something New maybe happened  in the last 30 minutes....
Feed the wood stove...
Get kids started on breakfast and school work...
Chase Hubby off MY COMPUTER where he was looking up everyone's address on Google map just because.. So I can check Email, facebook and blog!!... Again....
Its now 10 am..
Feed the wood stove
Hubby watching cooking show on PBS.
Check email, facebook,blog and goat forum....
Remember to walk on the treadmill... While watching PBS...
Soak in tub to warm up extremities
Chase Hubby off my Computer AGAIN!! Who does he think he is anyways???lol
Hubby feeds the wood stove..
Everyone sees how many dishes they can dirty in one meal...
1 pm
Kids Miraculously finish schoolwork in record time..
So I remind them of inside chores that aren't done.
Watch my talented children balance spoons on their nose....
Chase them off of My Computer..
Tel them to quit wrestling before the house that has been here for 80 years falls in because of them!
Kids open backdoor 10 different times because it cant really be that cold with out a coat on....
Thawing them by the fire again....
3pm
Start filling water jugs to take out to the poor animals...
Collect scraps to feed to various animals outside...
Start dressing to make the mad dash to feed, water and collect half froze eggs....
4pm finally done getting dressed to go outside only to realize have to go pee... Undress enough... Then redress...
4:30pm
Headed out the door for real....
Gather up feed for goats and chickens
Tote 12 gallons of water up and down the hill (slipping and sliding) to give everyone a fresh drink before it freezes in 5 seconds flat...
Look closely at everyone to make sure they aren't shivering....
Stare longingly at my van that is Not 4 wheel drive... I can make it down the drive but not back up....
Then back to the house to lose the top 4 layers of clothing.. I lost 20lbs!!woohooo I know I will just put it back on in the morning...
Check email, facebook, blog and goat forum...
Fix supper while staring out my windows at all that white junk in the yard....
Tell kids for the 20th time to shut the back door they are not going out!!!
Realize they were trying to lock their big sister out... Barefoot...
Thawing out another kid..
Chase Hubby off my computer again....
Check email, facebook, blog and goat forum, look up random thoughts on google...
 Down load the 50 pictures kids took from the living room window
6pm
 Scanner goes off.. False alarm Just the nightly test page. Tell hubby to take Off the fireman's suit there is NO fire!!
Feed the starvin darlins....
Watch some tv and read a book, catalog, magazine, ..
Remind kids to take a shower.. everyone laying all over the living room around the fire.. Everyone is semi-comatose at 8pm..
10pm
Rant and Rave at the weather man!! How dare he give us this kind of crazy weather!!Lol
 Then Hubby decides to make chocolate covered peanuts at to late to even look at the clock..
Check email, facebook, blog, and goat forum....
Play Mindless internet games till cross-eyed.
Feed wood stove...
Go to bed Hoping Hubby cleans up his Cooking adventure mess..... Yeah Right!!
 All in fun.................

15 comments:

Providence Acres - Sheryl Gallant said...

Oh Dear! Sounds like you need an in-house hobby and heated waterers. We have a heating pad under our chicken's zinc waterer. Its on a timer. It comes on for an hour from 4-5am, the comes on again every two hours for 2o mins and is set on High. Works great! Worked great last year too. Friends have heated roof cable wrapped around their chicken's zinc waterer. Works well too. Only needs filled every couple of days or so. I still feed them and collect the eggs at least once a day, in severe weather only once a day. They always have lots of food in winter since they need more to keep warm.

~Tonia said...

Lol! I am seriously looking at heated buckets for next year. But I have to get a better source of electric to the barns.
Its not as bad as it sounds promise I have been working on stuff for 4H and other little things like.
But I have questioned our sanity some in the last few days!Lol

Gail said...

New year's wish list, heated buckets or higher temps, I will settle for either.

small farm girl said...

Tonia, I was laughing so hard about checking your FB and blog. You sound like me whenever I'm stuck in the house. I mean, you really don't know if someone posted something 3 mins ago. lol
Try to stay warm and sane,
sfg

Brenda said...

LOL !! I can picture you chasing everyone off of the computer ... just in case someone has posted something new! At least I only have to chase Ray off ... Mom has her own computer linked to the DSL.

I've had to start bucket watering all the goats now too. It has been SO cold for so long now that the big water tubs are pretty much frozen solid. I was able to chop through the top layer of ice to get to water for the goats, but not for the last day and a half. So, I've joined you in carrying buckets of water to the goat pens in the barn. At least I only have to carry it from the cheese processing room out to the barn stalls. Not too bad!

I've thought about putting the heaters in the goat's water troughs that I used to use to keep the water thawed for the horses.... but ... knowing my goat girls ... they'd play with them instead of leaving them in the water to keep it from freezing!

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

YUP!!! Sounds like a typical day stuck inside. Especially about playing games till I go cross-eyed. Thanks for the chuckle.

~bakinghomesteader~ said...

I'm a facebook/blog checker too :) Whenever I get a break from chores that's what I'm doing :)

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Sounds like my kind of day! :)

kestrel said...

Now after reading your post, I don't think I want winter here. If only you could call pizza delivery for a warm yummy cheesy bite. Hope things get warmer

goatmilker said...

Thats waht happens when everybody is stuck inside and you are crazy by the end of the day. Thanks for sharing glad I'am not the only one dealing with frozen buckets. It is no fun! Have a great dat Rebekah.

Anke said...

What a day... are you expecting a lot more snow?

Kathleen said...

Hi Tonia,

LOL - I'm a checker too. Seems every time I get a break I need to see what new postings there are.

I grew up in a home where my dad was a full-time firefighter, so I can appreciate what your saying about the scanner.

When I think about it, I would love to know just how many gallons of water I have carried from the house to the barn over the years.

take care,
kathy

Kelle said...

Tonia,
To fun! It sounds like our place, except I'm hauling the water and helping clean stalls and whatnot, as it's to much for Cortney to do alone and besides it's good exercise.*wink*
Now that we've got our broadband hooked up( Thurs.), YEAH, I'm a checker too! With dial up I has almost lost interest in getting online, it took forever and a year to load up blogs, or emails with pictures and forget You Tube! Now I feel like I've been beemed out of the stone ages and into the Jetson's future( well not that far into the future and I wouldn't like that anyway) I've been having a blast watching youtube videos, on candlemaking, soapmaking, blacksmithing, canning, about our breeds of animals( Irish Dexters, Fjords, heritage turkeys), etc.... I know there is some really bad stuff too, but we're avoiding those videos*sigh*
I'll be able to download videos onto our blog, like when Addy calves, of us milking, our day to day life, etc..... HOW FUN is that!

Now back to Spring cleaning in Jan.! Take care and keep the stove stoked, stay warm!

Blessings,
Kelle

Kelle said...

PS. Our house turned 100 yrs old this year!

Feral Female said...

Boy your day sounds kinda similar to some of mine...chasing hubby off computer and battling with frozen buckets to name just a few! =)