Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Little Frosty.........

The Little hill out the backdoor...


Going in search of a Bigger Hill!!


Chickens water this morning...


Icicle off the side of the house


 Front View....


 Ice puddle underneath it...


Of course we had to pick it up and inspect it closely!


I have been trying to get this little fellow for weeks...

 Its still shadowed but very close!!


 Tinks is so tough being a lap dog..


Belle was helping with schoolwork
but got distracted...By a Nap!

  Its still Cold we are coming up to the coldest part of the week. Lots of preparations being made...
We are toting water to everyone. The goats are drinking about 10 gallons a day and a gallon for the chickens and Hobo. Then the rabbits are getting about a gallon a day too. We broke one of their crocks today. So we were scrounging around for plastic bowls to replace them..  The chickens and goats we have started switching out buckets. Take a warm one out and bring in the frozen.. Surprisingly the eggs aren't freezing... But they all lay in the same nest and everyone likes to sit on them.
 My goats seem to be doing okay. The 2 goats that had bare spots on their nose are looking better. It wasn't terrible but I know it can be a sign of something not right. They are all slick and shiny! And bellies are growing everyday!! I am glad though I went ahead and bred them for March.. This cold is some kind of crazy!
 I was suppose to have all the rabbits bred this week to but I am going to put it off a week. Its toooo cold to do much of anything!!We have 2 dwarf Hotot does to be bred. Then one little Holland lop we are going to borrow a Holland lop buck for her. This means we should have babies in time for Easter.. We will see....
  We have figured out one thing with this house... It needs some insulation!!! That will be a priority thing! Going to take my half froze fingers to sit by the fire!!Good night!
P.S........TREE You can have your Maine weather back!! We are sooo done with it!!

13 comments:

small farm girl said...

Tonia, what kind of bird is that?

~Tonia said...

Its some kind of woodpecker.. I think a Redbellied as far as I can tell... I neet to get a better pic of it.. But it is very skittish. Ihave to be standing in the window when it flies up or its gone as soone as I walk up to the window..

Brenda said...

I'm ready to send this weather back to the Artic !! It is so cold outside...and not much warmer inside. The National Weather Service forecast says we'll have wind chills of -7* tonight and a high of 6* on Thursday. Normal temperatures will feel like a heat wave!

tree ocean said...

we are so above normal for temps but supposed to get colder for the weekend. boo-hoo! I guess that was our Jan thaw! above freezing daytime temps for 5 days...

The frozen puddles is cool! and the bird so close!

I cut the bottom out of gallon milk jugs for rabbit waters. The ice just pops out and he doesn't flip it. You can cut as deep as 4 inches or just a shallow bottom. I use them for goat grain dishes and goose grain . When they get gross just toss them (or recycle #2 plastic, lol) and cut a new one...

Barbara said...

Whew, I can appreciate living in the Sunshine State even if we are cold right now. I only have to thaw water bowls once in the a.m.. While the snow looks fun you can have it. I am looking forward to the temps in the 70's that they are predicting we will have in a couple of weeks. Stay Warm!

Rural Rambler said...

Tonia I so want this weather to be gone! And I don't have goats or chickens outside to worry about. We have a heat pump and it wasn't getting the job done so we switched to furnace heat(electric)back on New Year's. That will hurt at bill payin' time! They say it will be out of here Sunday. Your ice chunks are impressive! And I am thinkin' that is a Red Bellied Woodpecker. You all stay warm!

Feral Female said...

Hang in there Tonia! Seems we`re all doing the frozen water shuffle of late!

I think that bird might be a Flicker, I`d need to check my bird guide but it looks very similar to ones I`ve spotted in our neck of the woods.

Stay warm!

~Tonia said...

When I looked it up it resembled the redbellied woodpecker the most.. There were several that looked a lot alike..
One of the places we used to live we had a pair of Pileated(sp?) woodpeckers and a pair of Downy woodpeckers.

Mrs. Bee said...

You win the "Brave Goat Lady" Award for braving the elements far beyond the norm! And to think I was fussing because it was foggy and misty this morning!
(Ok, humidity is NOT my hairs' friend!)
We have Pileated and Acorn Woodpeckers here..I amhoping the Acorn's nest in the same oak tree as last year since I can watch them from the back patio!

Nezzy said...

This weather is just unbelievable. I can't tell ya'll how many layers I had on this morn' doin' the chores and the weatherman says after the snowstorm this evening the temps are going to drop! DROP! Yesterday morn it was -10 in our Ponderosa's holler.

Have a great day and stay cozy! :o)

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

The cold thing is all relative! BTW, I discovered heated water buckets several years ago. Just love them! And the animals drink more because their water doesn't have ice slush in it. Stay warm, my friend. Spring is just around the corner. At least that's what the seed catalogs tell me.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

That was a beautiful icicle and puddle. It often doesn't even warm up enough here in Nova Scotia to get an icicle and puddle. Just snow and snow and then cold, cold, cold. But you know what? We're on our way to spring!!

Providence Acres - Sheryl Gallant said...

It has been exceptionally cold lately, even here! We have heated waterers. I wouldn't be in a cold winter setting without one. It sure saves us a lot of work and cuts down on the treks to the chicken house in blizzard weather.

- Sheryl